How to Make a Home Made Python (Very Cheap) + Directions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esra

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought I'd post this here as I made it over the weekend and it works a treat!

I know a lot of people already own a Python or would already know how to do this but as for me I couldn't find a Python here in Australia and was just surprised at how cheaply and easily the same results can be achieved.

I bought a 15M (approx 45 foot) hose from the hardware store.
I also bought a tap converter to allow me to connect it to a normal bathroom tap.

To use it is pretty simple.

All i did was:

1 ) Connect the hose to the tap and place the other end in the tank.
2 ) Turn the tap on very low until i can see water coming into the tank.
3 ) Immediately kink the hose as close to the tap as you can to stop the flow.
4 ) While keeping the hose kinked, turn off the tap and unhook the hose from the tap
5 ) Place the end that was on the tap in the bath or sink and unkink the hose. The suction should now start the water siphoning from the tank to the bath.
6 ) When you have enough water out of the tank, raise the end of the hose in the tank above the water line to stop the siphoning.
7 ) Lower the tank end back into the water.
8 ) Play with the tap water temp to get it right. Shut off the flow and then re-connect to the tap.
9 ) Dose your tank with prime for the whole volume of your tank, not just the amount your about to add back in.
10) SLOWLY increase the flow from the tap to the tank and wait for it to fill.

That will do it and you'll be able to do water changes a lot easier and it will only cost a few dollars.

Also just a tip, the siphoning out obviously takes longer than putting the water back in. You might want to buy an intake guard like the kind used on canister filters to go over the end of the hose you use in the tank.
That way you can start the siphoning and just check the level every now and then without worrying about fish swimming up the hose!

That's a great idea! Do you have any pics? My PWCs are pretty quick and my fish tend to hide, when there are new things introduced into the tank, plus the hose is too small for any of my fish to swim up into, but the guard is a good idea. You can use a bigger pump/ph, in order to pump the new water back into the tank faster.

I'll get some pics tonight.

I did another PWC last night and found a faster way to do it.

Instead of siphoning out the water i connected the hose to the outlet of my canister filter.
That got the water out nice and quick.

And refilling is as fast as your tap can put the water out.
Took about 5mins all up for a 50% on a 120G.

kennef said:
this is good DIY, but the feature you are missing is that siphon flow bit, which is easily obtained with a Water bed will/drain attachment, found at Home Depot for about 5 dollars.

I have yet to use a Python or any hose >YET<. But has anyone really given thought to how much money they waste down the drain by using a Python or water bed siphon? How many gallons of water go down the drain straight from the tap to do a weekly water change on a 55, 75, 90 or even larger tank? I kinda like Esra's idea of just doing a straight siphon even though it may not be as fast.

It may not be too big a deal on those that use well water. But, for those like me on a municiple water system, Esra's idea seems like a good way to save some money for other things. After all, I have to pay a sewage fee that is based on the amount of water I use as well. And my monthly bill was averaging around $100 a month before the aquarium.

Ketso,

i agree on the principle, and i am also on a municipal water system. I'll simply bend your ear with this question.
Have you really given any thought to how much water you use every time you flush the toilet? On average 2-5 gallons. Are you aware that when to take a shower with a regular shower head, 85% of the water that comes out doesn't hit you? And what does, more than half of it Bounces off you due to velocity before it actually gets you wet?

A python doesn't need the water on to continue to siphon once its started, so long as the tank is higher than the sink. and the option of filling directly from the tap beats carrying bucket IMHO. :)

kennef said:
Ketso,

i agree on the principle, and i am also on a municipal water system. I'll simply bend your ear with this question.
Have you really given any thought to how much water you use every time you flush the toilet? On average 2-5 gallons. Are you aware that when to take a shower with a regular shower head, 85% of the water that comes out doesn't hit you? And what does, more than half of it Bounces off you due to velocity before it actually gets you wet?

A python doesn't need the water on to continue to siphon once its started, so long as the tank is higher than the sink. and the option of filling directly from the tap beats carrying bucket IMHO. :)
Never having owned a Python (or water bed), I was unaware that you needn't leave the water running. Ya, learn something new everyday. :D

As for the other things you mentioned, I have a water saving toilet and shower unit. Toilet only uses 1.2gpf and shower uses about 1/2 that of a conventional. I also have a valve on the hot water line going to the shower that reduces the pressure (was here when I bought the house) which reduces water usage even more (Also handy for when my son decides to take a 30 minute shower, I just shut off the hot water. He gets out quick :twisted: ).

Sorry to have gotten this thread wwwwaaaaayyyyy off subject, Esra.

And I failed to mention ....

Good job on the DIY, Esra!

"Now, back to your regular scheduled programming."

Good job Esra....
I'm not pushing the "live green" thing, but your all wasting water...There is nothing better than fish water for your house plants, gardens, and lawns...just an opinion

I know this is an old thread but I agree with redswi. I put the end of my python in pots around the front of the house and my front flower bed...they love it! When I flood them out the front lawn gets the rest!
You should see the dark green patch on the grass from the runoff area!

good call on the DIY Esra and good call on the recycled watering redswi!!!

redswi said:
Good job Esra....
I'm not pushing the "live green" thing, but your all wasting water...There is nothing better than fish water for your house plants, gardens, and lawns...just an opinion

I use to dump the water straight out the front window in my room, which is at the front of the house, because the window was low. My mom didn't like that, so I thought it would be a better idea to use some muscle, lift it up to the bathroom window which is about waist level, and dump it out. It gets the grass and plants and ground wet... Saves water. If you are too lazy to open the window, water your house plants or use it to flush the toilet even though the tank water is kinda dirty.

You can also kink the hose, undo it from the sink, and put it out a window to water flowers/lawn once the siphon has started.

I don't do it on my 55, the sink is 45 feet away. In a 50% chage on a 55 gallon, I run the tap for ten minutes or so.

I'm still saving, still using buckets. I do use the old water for the house plants.

Back
Top Bottom