How to reinforce a floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to know how to reinforce a floor I have a 200 gallon tank on the first floor I just got and I know it will be a lot of weight and would like to reinforce the floor any one done it before if you have tell me it would help a lot the house was bulit in 80s no water damage or anything like that basement unfinished underneath

Measure the floor joists.. actual size up and down and width between, if they're over 9.25" abd no more than 16" apart.. you're good as long as you're stand sits perfectly level and the feet are not going to concentrate force on a small area..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

there are reasons to reinforce the floor even if it isn't technically necessary. One thing is the loaded floor won't move when you walk by. The other is that over time a stationary load like that may cause a slight dip in the floor. A couple of ways would be to sister the beams by adding a second joist next to an existing one and attaching it to the existing, in effect, doubling it. This may be impractical if there are electrical wires running through them. The easiest way would be to put a stud wall underneath the area that will be covered by the front edge of the stand. Inexpensive and can be easily removed at a later date if necessary.

there are reasons to reinforce the floor even if it isn't technically necessary. One thing is the loaded floor won't move when you walk by. The other is that over time a stationary load like that may cause a slight dip in the floor. A couple of ways would be to sister the beams by adding a second joist next to an existing one and attaching it to the existing, in effect, doubling it. This may be impractical if there are electrical wires running through them. The easiest way would be to put a stud wall underneath the area that will be covered by the front edge of the stand. Inexpensive and can be easily removed at a later date if necessary.

Agreed, i didn't take the deflection into account when walking by the tank.. I should though as I am close to 300 pounds and all my tanks dance when I walk on by..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could add some lvl's under the area and then use floor jacks to add support to them

def reinforce it. i have our 125 on our main floor, spread across 4-5 joists and it def moves when people walk around it. the movement part is whatll break seals eventually if its not corrected

I'd add a 2x12 beam running perpendicular to your joists on dry stacks. I'm not an expert though.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom