How to replace top trim on tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyrican

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am relatively new to AA. I have a question regarding the top trim on my 55 gal tank. I need to replace it because the center brace is broken. I have already ordered the trim and just need to know how to safely remove the old one. While searching AA, I found where others have had similar experiences, but no instructions on how to replace. Any help/advice you can provide would be appreciated.

Other info: tank is FW, in use in my office waiting room. Once I discovered the bowing, I drained the tank down to about 8" of water.

TIA

This is going to be a tough task as the tank manufaturers use sylcon to glue the frame to the glass. You will need a good quality/sharp razor blade to get up under the frame in an effort to cut the sylcon thats holding it to the glass. Run this along the outside and inside of the frame. You may still find it difficult to get the frame to move. When I had to replace the frame on one of my tanks I had to basicly rip the top frame apart. TO do this score the frame in a few places with the blade and then carefully twist and pry the frame apart. Its probably gonna break up fairly well into several bits. Once the frame is off use the blade to scrape off all the sylion from the glass around the top and use something like acetone to clean that surface. When the new frame arrives first dry fit th eframe to make sure the glass sits in the frames grove. If it does then get some 100% pure sylcon from the home improvment store (make sure it does not have fungicides or anti mold additives) and run a thick beed of this in the center of the glass grove on the frame. Then slowly drop the frame over the glass pressing it down on either side so as to have the frame installed level. Press the frame down on the glass so the sylcon makes good contact with the glass.

Thanks! I guess I was hoping for a "click your heels and snap your fingers" kind of solution. Although, I guess if I really wanted that I would not have gotten into this hobby.

Should I completely drain the tank before I do this? I would hate to have to move the fish.

You should be able to just drain the tank half way, make sure the silicone sets for 24 hours before it comes in contact with water.

Thanks! That's basically what I ended up doing. The top came off relatively easy, but the assorted creaks and snaps of the plastic was a bit unnerving. I had visions of the blade slipping and cracking the glass. 8O

the above is assuming you would be able to tear down the tank.. petroleum based products.. such as gasoline would definitely be lethal to the inhabitants.. :!: 8O

Ace, I called All-Glass Aquarium (1-800-255-4527) and ordered it from them. The first one they shipped was damaged in shipping, but they quickly shipped a replacement. I paid about $14 incl. shipping for the 55gal top brace. You may also want to check with the LFS. My LFS here had to special order it and wanted $25 for the same trim. I decided to order it myself.

ok great. thanks alot Boricua.
I changed my mind from making a glass tank to acrylic though. but ill keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom