Hung AND Done!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Woohoo!!

Finished with this sucker. What a pain in the butt to get this thing hung above the center of the the tank and then leveled at the same time. Hung it with steel cable connected to the four top corners of the fixture. The cables run to two hooks attached to the ceiling...

...actually, I'll post some pics instead of explaining away. A picture is worth a thousand words anyway.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed ideas and helped along the way. You guys rock!!

Here are a few more shots...

In one of the shots you can see the MH ballast mounted to the ceiling and the hooks (to the right) used to hang the fixture from.

hey biggin!!!

great job on the tank and lights!

where are you located in panama? i could have sworn i've been in that shop before, although it was several years ago. it just looks really familiar and brings back some memories...

where are you located in panama? i could have sworn i've been in that shop before, although it was several years ago. it just looks really familiar and brings back some memories...

Not sure how familiar you are with the area, but we are basically located at the intersection of U.S. Hwy 98, Middle Beach Road, and Thomas Drive. A Super Wal-Mart is about 3 blocks down from our store. The "strip" as it is called, starts right at our front door.

My parents started the business and we have been at this location for about ~20 years or so. I would bet if you had come to visit P.C at any one point in time, you would have come here.

:)

Hey, I've been there too. I'm sure you'd remember me as that semi-intoxicated guy that walked through without buying anything. Because I know how rare that is in Panama City in the spring.

:hat: :lol:

I like it! Those lights aren't like welding torches are they? Like, they'll blind you if you look directly at the picture? :lol:

I like it! Those lights aren't like welding torches are they? Like, they'll blind you if you look directly at the picture?

If you look into the reflector, yes, it will blind you... Pretty darn bright with a 250w MH and 2X55w PC's humming along up there.

Just curious, are those fans sucking or blowing or is 1 sucking and 1 blowing? Have you noticed any heat up issues?

Just curious, are those fans sucking or blowing or is 1 sucking and 1 blowing? Have you noticed any heat up issues?

One fan pulls air into the canopy while the other blows it out. Also, if you look closely at the pictures you will notice that I also spaced the boards on top of the canopy about 3/4" apart. This will allow natural convection to take place and remove the heat from the unit and bring in cool air from the bottom.

I have absolutely ZERO issues with heat with this design. There is hardly any heat escaping from the top (I can only conclude the fans are drawing the majority out). Water temperature is also unaffected.

I love it when a plan comes together. :D

Back
Top Bottom