I have an idea and need opinions first.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I want a bigger refugium on my 20 gal sw. I currently use a modded AC70, but just had a 5 gal tank become available to me. I was thinking of using an old AC50 for the overflow, and drilling out the bottom of the main compartment. Is this a feasible idea?

I'm not sure how you're going to make the overflow. Typically an overflow needs a U-tube for a siphon.

I think he's trying to have the AC70 drilled in the bottom of the media area, and block off the output.

If my thinking is correct to what he's thinking, I get it. As for it working, I haven't the slightest idea!

You'd have to reroute the flow inside the AC70 so it flows through top down. AquaClears are designed to flow from the bottom up through the media and out the overflow. A piece of plastic and some silicone should do the trick.

Are you going to plug the motor in to run? If so, you might be asking to drain your whole tank if the return pump dies or flood if the AC50 motor dies. I guess maybe not the latter since there would be flow out the bottom so it might keep flowing. Hmmm.. Am I thinking right?

I had the same idea. I saw somewhere that you can remove the motor and add a bulkhead type fitting there to send water. I would imagine you could drill the bottom of the AC, and have that become your return.

I am waiting to find a 10 gallon on Craigslist or the petco $1 a gallon sale to set up a sump for my 20L. Right now I am running modded AC50 and a in tank skimmer. Nitrates close to 0.

Back
Top Bottom