Ideas for splash guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

I have a problem whereby the water seems to splash up onto my light bulbs and then slowly, via salt creep, makes its way over to the terminals for the bulb. This causes my safety switch on the house's electrical wiring to trip and I go into a blackout.

The solution is easy.. add a slash guard.. but I'm not sure on where to obtain suitable equipment / parts.

Of coarse, the light is elevated off the surface (by a good two inches actually) but it does indeed still splash up. In fact, it really just bubbles upwards (i.e. the disruption of the surface causes tiny pinhead bubbles which burst and pop upwards).

I have glass lids. That's probably the best thing to do and it doesn't require you to make something.

A splash guard can really be made from anything, technically speaking of course, but the glass tops is as good as it gets... I second the nomination, as I use it on all of my tanks no matter how big or small... in reality, glass is not too expensive when you get it cut from a hardware store or glass shop. Just be careful if you do not get the tempered type, as it can crack and shoot chips off of itself when struck much more easily. Always get "double thick" 1/8th inch or 3mm glass.

I had the same problem with my 75 gal lid (before it exploded all over my computer room)
If you have a similar hood to the style I have, I used 1/8" plexi-glass cut to the shape of the bottom. Just be carefull you dont screw it into the wiring :)

Back
Top Bottom