Ideas in making a water changer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AfricanCichlidOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't want to spend money on a python from what I've heard they break a lot so any ideas anyone? Any help would be awesome!

I don't want to spend money on a python from what I've heard they break a lot so any ideas anyone? Any help would be awesome!
Hey. I was just thinking the same recently!!. My problem is trying to get a python or aqueon. I have to import from the US and the postage is crazy, $70 just postage!!. Here is what i am planning on doing. Forgive me if i use the incorrect terms for the equipment but i'm sure you'll know what i mean...
What you need is;
A Faucet adopter
A hose connector(it's like a cone shape, either plastic but preferably metal)
A garden hose, whatever length you need
A gravel cleaner/vac, one that the original hose can be removed and replaced with the garden hose.
A tap.
The faucet adopter connects to your faucet and the hose adopter connects to this. Connect the hose to the hose adopter. Connect the hose to the gravel vac. All the connections should be secured by the metal clips(tightened by the screw)...
This is what i do at the moment. I connect my gravel vac to a spare bit of hose and put the hose out the room window into the garden. I can just leave the tank to drain by itself. My problem is filling it up. I think the plan i have is going to sort that. When it's finished draining just connect the end to the faucet and fill. When you have enough water in your tank, you can turn the water off with the black tap. I set my hot water tank to the temperature of my tank, i then don't have to worry about matching water with the temp of the tank. Declor the whole volume of the tank BEFORE refilling it and it will be fine...
PS... I have included pics to make it easier to understand!!!

Attachments

• imagesCA35D2EW.jpg
    imagesCA35D2EW.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 88
  • imagesCAPCFUO6.jpg
    imagesCAPCFUO6.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 89
  • imagesCA1QBJ6V.jpg
    imagesCA1QBJ6V.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 91
That's pretty much what I did. Preferable to a python if gravity will work for you because you waste less water. Don't use the shutoff with the sink running though the back pressure will spurt water everywhere. I recently got a second hose and now use one to drain and the other to refill. This saves a load of time when doing PWC on four tanks.

That's pretty much what I did. Preferable to a python if gravity will work for you because you waste less water. Don't use the shutoff with the sink running though the back pressure will spurt water everywhere. I recently got a second hose and now use one to drain and the other to refill. This saves a load of time when doing PWC on four tanks.
Can you post some pictures, i'm curious now about the extra hose!!!

Back
Top Bottom