In/outside pond.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reaper216

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a dream that one day I would love to see fulfilled.

A pond that would be mostly outside, with a viewing area visible from a basement. Probably something like 3 ft tall and 5 ft wide almost like a window.

Any thoughts on potential problems?

Temperature control/expense for heating/cooling. Thickness of glass/acrylic needed would be very expensive. Structurally sound. Filtration inside needing enough room space to handle it. Lawn pesticides getting into the pond which would kill most livestock. Rainwater issues. Just to name a few.

if you did a poured concrete bottom and sides and had it above ground it would cut out some of those issues. To kinda get an idea look at zoos. I know the Memphis zoo has 2 places like that...

build it bigger, think real pond size (2 plus acres) and a lot of those issues go away...water proofing the house on the waterside, cleaning the "window" from the outside (snorkel much?) and you will be limited on stock, most likely native only

How do people keep the Koi/goldfish in ponds outdoors? Are there special heaters/coolers made for them? This is what I wanted to keep with a viewing window from the basement.

No actual access from the basement just a window that wouls be flush with the interior wall.

I keep mine outside in an above ground pond that was Actually made as a 300 gal horse and cow waterer...

That could work fine then. The difficulty will be the window when it freezes. Acrylic would be the best option for that, but would contact an engineer about thickness needed to be strong enough for that. Plus ensuring your basement walls are capable of holding that kind if load without leaks too. Contacting an engineer with experience in this would be your best bet. As for the fish, the only people I know with koi in areas that freeze out them inside during the winter. It would have to be a Farley deep pond to keep them alive for any deep freezes along with a way to keep the water oxygenated. Maybe others with experience in that could help out.

Back
Top Bottom