In wall stand construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Dunno if you've seen an earlier post from me about stand construction. Resolved that question and decided to make it 32" from the floor for my height and arms length to ensure I can reach the bottom of a 90g tank.

So, the tank is a 4', 90g tank. Having my basement finished and am needing to provide something for the contractor to work with in the next day or two.

Do you think vertical 2x4s @ each corner and the horizontals can hold a 90g tank? Hoping to keep the entire underneath area free of more vertical 2x4s.

Any special wood to use that won't move, warp or buckle?

Trying to find plans for in wall framing for new construction on the net. Having a hard time finding anything you don't have to pay for either.

Are you talking about verticle 2x4's in the basement under where the tank will go? Possibly but I honestly wouldn't risk it and would go with either 2 laminated 2x4's or 4x4. Even on my 55g I have 2 2x4's at each corner... then again I tend to over build thinks. What if you plan to go bigger later? Where is your sump going? Next to the tank? That will add weight too if so.

NO absolutely not, all that will do is give it 4 pivot points to fall over with.

I tried that with my 210 but verticles are needed every 16" maximum.

I built mine with a floor and a tank platform then cut my verticles to length and screwed them in, all 210g full is supported by the wood, when fastening make sure the weight is on the wood not the fasteners.

Mine is not in wall but atleast it will give you an idea.
2pzg1g2.jpg

2i87i2o.jpg

w893d3.jpg

and where I had to reinforce due to swaying movement.
2rws4yh.jpg

again its not inwall but it might help you, My stand is 24" tall so I can reach in and see over the top a bit. It sits just about 5' tall.

My uncle bought our old 90g off us and turned it into a marine in wall unit. he used 4x4's for the support. and his stand was part of the stud wall.

try this site, I just found it on google using different terms for in wall tank stand diy plans
FishandTips.com: do it yourself aquarium stands

Thank you, Just trying to give better ideas for structural strength.

Austinsdad can you send me pic of the wall you are putting it in. it would help if i could see were you are putting it. 2x4 construction will work just fine for your 90gal. aquarium. hope i can help

Fishman

2x4 will work but not just at the corners. If he builds it at the corners it will sag the horizontals. I know when we put the one in the wall at my uncles he built a 3' tall frame stand for it much like mine, he also cross beamed them into the wall with diagonal supports.

Pics would help too.

Fishman, there is no existing wall. This is brand new construction. And having the underbelly open is a desire since the sump/fuge will go there. And the skimmer will be mounted right next to the sump. The 37g reservoir can go next to it all and sit on the floor.

I'll try to get a ipc of my space tonite. I'm even having thoughts about placing a 2-3" tray underneath the entire thing with a drain near the floor. The area I'm building is gonna be about 3' from an ejector pump (hole in the fllor where the bathroom drains go into and is pumped up into the septic line. Figured that any leaks would go thru the tray outlet and be plumbed into the pit.

Neilan, I've looked at that thread and it does work well to get me the underbelly space I'm looking for. I'd guess that middle cross beam is the key for prevent the saggin in between the corner 2x4s.

Ray,
Check this thread out. Very simple, and will leave the inside open. More than sufficient for your 90g.

I really liked these plans, that is what I built mine to. I also helped a friend build one for her 150gal. I was told to use a vertical center brace for anything over a 72" span. So I think with your 4' tank you would be fine with no center vertical brace.

WhiteDevil, it looks to me that the hardware is taking the weight of the stand, not the wood. I built my bottom frame first, attached 2 2x4s at each corner then built the top frame and set it on top of the 2x4s at the corners. Maybe I am missing something but it looks like the top frame is just held to the legs by screws. :confused:

I don't think you'll have any sag with only a 90g tank. If you're worried about it tho, use 2x6s for the upper lip. You're not going to sag a 6" thick piece of wood for sure.

Yes it is held together by screws however the 2x4's go all the way to the floor and to the top support beams, the weight is truly resting on the wood not the fasteners. My stand is capable of close to 3500 pounds. I wanted storage space underneeth but the cross supports at top and bottom kinda made that impossible. I had to relocate my sump,canister,co2 ect to the room behind the tank behind the wall.
That first pic is bottoms up, thats the bottom of the stand to show how the legs actually go all the way to the concrete floor.

I could have glued it all together but felt screws were easier to remove if needed. My verticle 2x4 supports are what carries all the weight of this tank.
id say close to 2600 pounds.

I suck at drawing on here and dont have my CAD programs on this computer but I think you could make sort of a shelf stand for this. using 45 degree cuts to attach the shelf to the wall then using maybe 4 4x4's at each corner, this would technically free the entire bottom up. Im trying to remember about 15 years back when we did the 90 in wall marine tank.

I see what you mean, I guess on mine I just made the top frame transfer the weight to the legs then to the bottom frame so it distributed the weight more evenly to the floor. If one of your legs were a bit too short then the top frame (which is screwed in) would be taking the weight.

Yes very true, each leg was individually measured and cut, some are 24" dead nuts some are 24 1/4, 24 1/8 ect.

I should have built it in place due to my floor being very uneven(basement finished, contractor didnt level squat like he was paid to do) but every upright supports total weight from tank to the floor. I had to use full tiles and basically build up the floor level then put the stand on, level, then the tank, level ect.
It took me two full days to do this stand and get it perfect. the room it is in has a ton of electronics and high dollar value computer equipment in it. Whatever it took to make sure they stay dry went into the stand.

I did have to move some cross supports to be able to access the overflows completely, I am not sure what filter you plan to run I run a wet/dry.

Neilan's link is the way corners are suppost to be built to support and stop wobbles. Can't wait to see pictures of your project. It sounds like you'll be building a wall around your tank so extra support can be applied on each side, kinda like framing in a door or window.

Hey Ray!! I used the same setup when building my reworked and granite topped stand for the 120 I built. Neilan's link is the way to go and using a 2x6 is an excellent idea to avoid having a center brace leaving you open in the middle.

OK, since the stand is PART of the framed wall construction, I can see the stabilty the contractor built into it. It's got side support. Check the pics. I had to put the fuge and FW reservoir in place to better visualize. Also stuck a little grey pipe where the skimmer would likely be placed - based on the hole already cut into the fuge from my 155g.

The view with the 37g reservoir is from the door way entrance to this room. Also added the wide angle shot from the area outside. The boards on the wall is where the TV wall mount is going to give a sense of better perspective of my area.

Wondering if my Aqua C 180 from my 155g is too large for this 90g.

Attachments

• front w skimmer.jpg
    front w skimmer.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 141
  • side w reservoir.jpg
    side w reservoir.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 114
  • TV view.jpg
    TV view.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 90g tank 009.jpg
    90g tank 009.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 107
If it were me (or if my Dad were there helping me) I would double up on the studs next to the opening. Windows, doors, pass throughs, etc...where ever there is a break in the wall, needs framed out. Also a header should be added, I'm assuming you don't have one yet just because you're deciding at what height to put it.

Other than that, it's gonna be a great fish wall :)

I thought a flip up panel above made of drywall, hinges and a handle. The wife took one look at it and decided there should be cabinet doors above it. She's good. :) Guess there'd be the middle support piece where the doors meet. That'll allow me to feed and work in the tank and see what I'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom