Is all slicone the same?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
All,

I want to fashion a sinkable plastic object that i can attach Nori to. I'd like to sandwich pieces of plastic together and use glue of some sort.

Can the GE 100% silicone caulk glue that you get at Home Depot work for this?

Thx

Spin

Make sure you get the GE Silicone without the bioseal. That is getting very hard to find.

Usually if you look closely on the tubes it will say "not for aquarium use' or something like that. Anything sold thats designed for bathroom use or areas of wetness would likly have mold inhibitor also.

Pure silicon will be clear when it comes out and clear when it dries. If you dont mind spending a few extra $ get the silicon sold in the LFS as its guarinteed to be free of items like the bioseal.

I'm looking at a tube of GE Silicone I and it says not for aquariums...I'm confused.

EDIT:
I looked at some more threads on here and it says the there are different revisions of GE Silicone I. I may have to toss this really great rock formation I just glued together. I assume the anti mold and mildew agents are bad news for the tank?

I think that the concensus is that GE Silicone I Door and Window is still aquarium safe, and that they changed the label for some reason that had nothing to do with it's safety.

This tube says GE Silicone I Kitchen and Bath. This type is still an acetic acid cure rather than ammonia, but I am still unsure about the anti-mold/mildew agents. I have enough rock to start over if this stuff will harm the fish.

Back
Top Bottom