Is Gorilla Glue safe for use in Aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark_L

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've been looking around for some decor to make in my 5 gal, and I decided on a DIY rock cave. I quickly gathered some rocks, chiseled then Into appropriate sizes, washed them, and formed them Into a small cave.

I did some research and turns out many different types of adhesive are ok for use in aquariums, but I didn't find much on gorilla glue...
Is it safe?

Not sure about gorilla glue, but silicone should work well for what you are doing.

Home Depot has JB Weld for under water repairs and also Super Glue Gel will work too and allot cheaper than fish stores prices.....:cool:

Gorilla glue is not designed for continuous immersion, you can get epoxy made for use in aquariums, safest bet is that.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

: If you have already used it, it will not harm anything. Used it as the only glue in the house to reset my wifes wavy plants into their base. It also sets near instant when submerged in water, so keep that in mind.

Gorilla glue is waterproof, has a long open time, bonds dissimilar materials effectively, creates a rigid glue line, absorbs solvent-based stains well, and sands without clogging abrasives. It has the strength and durability of an epoxy, but is a one-part system. It can be used for interior and exterior applications, except for gap-filling bonds where structural integrity is a factor. It is suitable for marine applications. For underwater uses, dried glue joints must be covered with a protective coating (e.g., paint, varnish).
Outdoor Work: PU will easily endure the regular soakings and high humidity to which outdoor projects are exposed. This glue also possesses good resistance to the effects of ultraviolet light. Gorilla glue is less water resistant than epoxy, but passes the same ANSI test as a Type I PVA (e.g., Titebond III®). It is considerably more water resistant than a Type II PVA (e.g., Titebond II®).
Safety Precautions: HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. May cause sensitization by inhalation, irritating to eyes and skin. Use in well-ventilated room. Avoid eye and skin contact. Will stain skin. Wear protective gloves, such as nitrile, natural rubber or polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) chemical-resistant gloves. Wear safety glasses or face shield. Do not use product while wearing contact lenses.

First Aid

Contains: 4,4'-Diphenylmethane diisocyanate + isomeres + homopolymer CAS #9016-87-9.

Not something I would risk in my tank, and needs to be covered, as it is not made for immersion by itself...unless you are talking about the gorilla glue super glue, which only contains cyanoacrylate, which I believe is what you need in a crazy glue formula in a tank use.

Ingredients: CAS No. OSHA PEL ACGIH TLV Other limits % Composition
Ethyl Cyanoacrylate 7085-85-0 N/A 0.2ppm TWA 0.3ppm STEL 86-100

I used hot glue and gorilla glue in my tank! I got to excited and I don't think it was even fully dry before I put it in and then my rummy nose tetra laid eggs on the piece with the glue on it!

Back
Top Bottom