Is my protein skimmer working?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisoner1572

Aquarium Advice Regular
I made my own protein skimmer a while ago for my 125g FOWLR. The tank has 5 fish in it: blue tang, clown fish, six line wrasse, scooter blenny and green chromis.

I have an airline at the intake of the pump which creates fine air bubbles. The bubbles make it all the way through the chamber like they are supposed to but I never get much protein foam. I've never had the foam head make it into the collection cup in the few years that its been running. Is this due to a design flaw in the skimmer or because my bio load is small?

If it's been a few years I would have to think its a possible design flaw. I wouldnt' expect you to have had a lot of skimmate, but definately some.

Are you able to control to water level in the main body?

I have a ball valve between the pump and the skimmer which controls the flow speed. Changing this does change the height of the water to some extent.

Have you tried it at higher settings to see if it produces anything?

I will try and play with it this weekend. What is the goal in having the water at a higher level: faster flow, closer to collection cup, shape of chamber?

Back
Top Bottom