Is my tank going to fall apart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer4378

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently aquired a 55 gal with stand for free since the back glass was broken and sitting in his garage for about 3 years.

My dilemma is that the glass place here in town only has 1/4" glass and tha tank has 5/16" and the only aquarium safe silicone that I found has the limitations stating that it is only good up to a 30 gal tank and no deeper than 18".( my tank is 20" deep )

Am I setting myself up for a big mess on my floor or will this be ok?
I'm more concerned with the 1/4" glass not holding up cause I figure that the silicone just has general warning, or am I wrong?

I wanted to ask the pros on here before I started to put it back together.
The glass was only $22 but I dont know where else to find any 5/16" thick nearby.

Here is a pic of my free tank and stand.

Attachments

• 100_2345.jpg
    100_2345.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 85
  • 100_2346.jpg
    100_2346.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 108
It looks like the top rim is broken, that has to be repaired. The glass I don't think will be thick enough that is a lot of pressure pushing against the glass. I don't know if I have ever seen any silicon with that warning on it. I wouldn't risk it. That is a lot of water to clean up if it doesn't hold!

i'd say that the stand is totally worth paying 50 bucks for a tank on craigslist. that seems like a risky endeavor. maybe for a vivarium?

i would say try it but try to find thicker glass first you could always order some pre cut offline and still come out cheaper than a new tank same with silicone just try it out first in your garage or oustide so it wont hurt you flooring let it sit filled up and some water current in it until you think its safe to put it inside

Glass isn't exact thickness anymore. Some of it is even metric, i.e. MM's. They overengineer these tanks like crazy. I'd put a 6" wide top brace in the middle like some tanks in the store have....edit..I see it already has one, so never mind......

Your main issue is getting all the old silicone off. Then where the joints are is going to have to be SQUEAKY clean. Use acetone.

As far as the silicone goes, look for GE 1200 construction grade...( http://www.dkhardware.com/product-29571-scs1201-clear-ge-1200-construction-silicone-sealant.html ).....you'll be fine.............z

PS. Once you get the glass glued in, pour a little water in the bottom...1/4 inch deep. Use tape to hold the glass after you glue it. Silicone cures with moisture. Wait about 2 weeks before you fill it.........z

Thanks zardiw, I will try that silicone.
I have decided to give the glass a shot but I will be putting it on the side of the house and filling, and adding some powerheads. That way the worst that will happen is for the glass to fall out again and water my lawn, then I'm out 22 bucks for the glass and have to try again.

LOL... I love that site, and the 'automatic fish feeder' aka bug zapper... lol!! :)

Thanks..Should have more pics up on the redone filter soon.......z

Well the tank is up and running.
I got some new silicone and used it. As far as the glass goes, I was at the lfs and seen one of their 55 gal tanks and it was made of 1/4" glass so that put my mind at ease.
I'll post some pics soon.
this will be my FOWLR tank since my 120 is my reef tank.
Thanks all, I probably wouldn't have gotten this far without the help of everyone on here.

Back
Top Bottom