Jacky12’s Tall Two Tank Stand: 125g & 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacky12

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This stand has a 125 G above and a 75 G below, topped by a 65" TV, playing an African Cichlid DVD.

The DIY stand has 3/4” plywood top and bottom, each surrounded by 2x4’s on all four sides and held together with screws and right angle brackets on both sides of every 2x4. A pair of 4x4 posts support center area. The front side and rear red paneling is a Formica like product made by Wilsonart: red cracked ice, a retro 1950s pattern. The basement floor below the stand was reinforced by six 4x4 posts.

Filtration: Fluval FX4 for the 125 G & Aqueon 155/400 for the 75 G.

Lighting: Fluval Aquasky for both tanks.

Heating: None for bottom tank. Hygger on upper and smaller Aqueon on other side.

Aeration: air stones & foam filters

Substrate: Black gravel in both

Background: Black foam board for both

Hides: Large acrylic stone-like cave for severums in upper tank. Similar hide for dojos in lower tank. Two terra cotta pots with exit holes on the bottom for the Clown Loaches in upper tank.

“Plants”: Silk ficus vines in both tanks.

Other decor: Grey lava stone and river rocks.

Fish: 125, one 8” Oscar, two 4” sevs, 3 Clown Loaches, 4,5 & 6” long.
75: four fantail goldfish and two dojo loaches.

Attachments

• IMG_0115[4970]33d3eit3.jpg
    IMG_0115[4970]33d3eit3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
This stand has a 125 G above and a 75 G below, topped by a 65" TV, playing an African Cichlid DVD.

The DIY stand has 3/4” plywood top and bottom, each surrounded by 2x4’s on all four sides and held together with screws and right angle brackets on both sides of every 2x4. A pair of 4x4 posts support center area. The front side and rear red paneling is a Formica like product made by Wilsonart: red cracked ice, a retro 1950s pattern. The basement floor below the stand was reinforced by six 4x4 posts.

Filtration: Fluval FX4 for the 125 G & Aqueon 155/400 for the 75 G.

Lighting: Fluval Aquasky for both tanks.

Heating: None for bottom tank. Hygger on upper and smaller Aqueon on other side.

Aeration: air stones & foam filters

Substrate: Black gravel in both

Background: Black foam board for both

Hides: Large acrylic stone-like cave for severums in upper tank. Similar hide for dojos in lower tank. Two terra cotta pots with exit holes on the bottom for the Clown Loaches in upper tank.

“Plants”: Silk ficus vines in both tanks.

Other decor: Grey lava stone and river rocks.

Fish: 125, one 8” Oscar, two 4” sevs, 3 Clown Loaches, 4,5 & 6” long.
75: four fantail goldfish and two dojo loaches.

Nice touch with the Cichlid DVD. ;)

Tanks looks nice. (y)(y)

Thanks, Andy, the tanks look so much better IRL. I should have turned down the light levels. Or something

You too can have that DVD for $5 at eBay.

The DVD has 6 fish groups, some are SW. There’s a cool rainforest one, but the fish swam too fast for an iPad without a flash.

Last edited:
I’ll try to get closeups of the tanks for you. In a larger group, I’d get yelled at for favoring the silk ficus, but there’s not much activity here. I have my reasons for fakes & mine are practical on numerous levels.

:agrue::agrue:

I’ll try to get closeups of the tanks for you. In a larger group, I’d get yelled at for favoring the silk ficus, but there’s not much activity here. I have my reasons for fakes & mine are practical on numerous levels.

:agrue::agrue:

Who care what other people's opinions are? They are just their opinions. With the fish you have, plants will probably have a bad time trying to survive so fake ones will do much better. (y)
As for those other groups complaining, I'd just quote Samuel Goldwyn, Al Capone and others: " If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you. " ;)

That’s great, Andy. lol

I am learning more about the CL. They are a schooling fish and best kept in a group of at least 5-6. No one in town has any. I saw a few online that are small, maybe 2-3”, tops. I’d have to put them in a grow tank, although I know this person who has nine 3” with one large Oscar and they actually school with the big fish. I did observe 2 of the 3 I have swimming side by side with Pink yesterday.

Right now I’m trying to get a handle on their growth rate. I think it’s rapid the first year and then slows down, not really sure.

I had pull the pair of big sevs originally placed in the Oscar tank. The orange female wanted to me the Boss Fish & had the poor old Oscar cornered, almost like she was sitting down. I put her and the big male back in the 125 G sev tank and moved 2 sevs about half their size to the Pink Oscar tank. They are totally ignoring each other so far. Pink is very active today and looking good.

Clown loaches seem more to change growth habits by size not age. They start off fast then really slow down. I just wouldn't put any small ones in with your Oscar
As for your Female Severum, breeders can be nasty so this is not surprising. Giving them a tank to themselves is a better option. They really don't need a 125 to be by themselves. The 75 would be more than enough. (y)

There are 6 sevs in the 125 sev tank in my kitchen. Sevs only.

I found 4 Clown Loaches at the salt water LFS today. Barely 2” long and super skinny. They are in a 40 G grow out tank. No way I’d put them with the old Oscar. The man at the pet store said since the baby CL’s have barbels, the Oscar wouldn’t bother them, I find that hard to believe!!! No way! I wonder if once he swallowed it whole, if the barbels would damage the Oscar’s internal organs and kill him.
Pink continues to do well with the two smaller sevs & 3 CL.

(y)(y)

PS. Have you ever noticed this emoji looks like a blue guy holding a candle? Or perhaps has a bandaged thumb? lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom