Jbj 28 nano cube stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefer4eva

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got tired of searching for a stand for my 28 nano cube and the one meant for the tank is made of crap wood and is also ugly as sin so I came up with this..this is the before pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 123
Framed,glued,covered with plywood...going to make a template of the rim so I can have the nano cube bottom trim hidden,the bottom trim is 1 1/4 so the 1/2 inch plywood plus 3/4 corner round molding should hid it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 120
Just about ready to stain...as you see from my previous post about hiding the bottom trim of the nano cube.you can see how it will fit perfectly

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 107
it looks really nice but what kind of wood was used. is the wood waterproof was that marine plywood. polyurethane final coat will look very nice, but can it prevent wood from rotting when in contact with water. can you give the specifications of materials used. I too want to make a tank and a stand for it so good if you can specify the type of materials used

This is for a 28 gallon nano cube as far as water ever hitting it that's highly unlikely,the stand that this setup comes with is that compressed crap plywood that expands the minute water hits it so I think any wood is better than that.the only reason for building the stand in the first place was for 2 reasons (1)the crappy stand it comes with didn't match my furniture in my living room.
(2)it's so unstable due to the poor design.the wood I used was NOT marine grade.basically pine 2x3 and birch plywood..and like I said anything is better than what it came with.my stand now never seen water and I'm sure the one I built wouldn't either...ooh I also glued every piece as well as used 3 inch screws..I was 4 screws shy of using the whole box..as far as stability me and my buddy sat on it at the same time which was well over 400 plus pounds and it was solid...if you need anymore info let me know

This is for a 28 gallon nano cube as far as water ever hitting it that's highly unlikely,the stand that this setup comes with is that compressed crap plywood that expands the minute water hits it so I think any wood is better than that.the only reason for building the stand in the first place was for 2 reasons (1)the crappy stand it comes with didn't match my furniture in my living room.
(2)it's so unstable due to the poor design.the wood I used was NOT marine grade.basically pine 2x3 and birch plywood..and like I said anything is better than what it came with.my stand now never seen water and I'm sure the one I built wouldn't either...ooh I also glued every piece as well as used 3 inch screws..I was 4 screws shy of using the whole box..as far as stability me and my buddy sat on it at the same time which was well over 400 plus pounds and it was solid...if you need anymore info let me know

Agree, any material is better than what the manufactured ikea stand is. My stand is a DIY stand and is holding up my 120g with no problem. Mainly 4x4 and 1/2"- 3/4" ply. But it was not made with anything Marine grade. It is all in the prep and finish. If you seal it good enough with the right materials then you won't have to worry about it breaking down with little bits of water.

Good job on the stand. Can't wait to see the final pics with the tank all set up.

thank you guys for your informative replies. will help me in making my diy stand. well so this proves that i do not require any marine grade wood or plywood. i think that a clear polyurethane top coat will be fine to give the waterproofing qualities. are any of these available in ikea as i have these stores nearby.

thank you guys for your informative replies. will help me in making my diy stand. well so this proves that i do not require any marine grade wood or plywood. i think that a clear polyurethane top coat will be fine to give the waterproofing qualities. are any of these available in ikea as i have these stores nearby.

I would not shop at ikea for a Stand that will support your tank. Ikea furniture is cheap and made of particle board and any water will soak up and make it very flimsy. I would just come up with a design, take measurements and go to your local hardware store and pick up the materials. You can start your own build thread and I and others can help you out throughout the whole process. Marine grade plywood is so so expensive and will be way overkill.
Good luck.

Well I finally finished setting up everything ...and for all who notice that it isn't a 28 g biocube your absolutely right!i removed the rim of the 28 which went flawless and upon leveling the stand with the tank on top of it I ended up smashing the corner of the tank against the wall and put a crack along the whole back:( so I searched high and low for another tank and found a 34 solana for a decent price.NOW my problem was I cut the top out for the curved front 28 nano so I had to replace the top plywood,stain it and urethane it so here it is! done!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom