LED Aquarium Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
using a 12volt source allows you to use longer wires and run more LEDs.

the lower your voltage, the greater the loss incured over a wire of X feet and X gauge. so 12 volts would be more efficient over a 6-10ft piece of wire than 3volts.

edit:

I just read that link, and although it looks very nice, what could be the advantage of using so many expensive LEDs as opposed to a simple 13 watt daytinic bulb for a nano reef or a 250 watt MH for a major reef?

the 100's of leds required to light a 55+ gallon tank would cost a fortune, not to mention all the time spent to solder each one into that grid contraption. Even if you didn't have to replace the bulbs for 5+ years, it still sounds like too much work for too little payoff.

** neat article however - thanks for sharing it.

ahh, the rope light rumor ;)

-yes- one could use rope light, but then if going that route, why not just use a pair of those blue party-bulbs they sell for $1.99

the problem with this is the color purity of the light. rope light and party-bulbs produce light of about 2700-3000K (via tungenston filament). So you take this predominately red/yellow light, and put a cheap blue filter over it.

The result is very little usable blue light, along with plenty of red and green, not to mention a considerable amount of heat.

LED or neon moonlights produce light using a more advanced technology, and produce it a lot more efficiently and precisely.

Go to an auto parts store and look for neon accent lights ... this is what I currently use for my 30 gallon and they work great ... I have 2 11" bulbs taped inside my light fixture, and they light the tank almost too well.

rope light get seriously hot and has been known to start fires. I would stay away from that stuff if i were you.

Back
Top Bottom