LED help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclc43837

Aquarium Advice Newbie
has anyone built an array from scratch with parts from ebay. im looking to build one for my 150gallon tank with sunrise and sunset options and there are so many different options to chose from. im no electrical engineer but I can put it together if I can get some guidance on what parts to buy. sorry forgot to mention its for a saltwater reef tank
how many lights I need?
controller?
drivers?
ect?

U can buy led light strips with its controller and adapter on ebay. Theres also an explanation how to set it up

Anyone know if it would he ok to wrap the led around the existing fluorescent tube in the stock light case?

I have a light made from leds as KingOfDiy instructions. There are some things you need to know. Cheap LEDS strips are bad. In 3 months since the setup they reduced their light to almost a third of the initial power. Number one priority-buy good LEDS that have at least 20.000 hours guaranteed. Also, they need to be on a radiator or aluminum profile to disperse the heat, because they are getting hot and heat will reduce their life. You should do your research extensive, because marine aquarium needs totally different light than freshwater. If you are in the USA located, there are some good marine led lights and not so pricey that have already the programming that you need. Message me if you want some brand names, also you could search on Google for "best led lights 2017". Be careful and do your research and read every review from amazon before you buy. If you want to build it yourself and want something easy, search for "solderless led" on Google. Buy a good heatsink and start learning about arduino programming. Good luck.

Alex, thanks for the great info! I will definitely do the research. I didn't realize you needed a heat sink, if I do the king of diy version should I wrap the pvc in aluminum foil? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom