LED lighting revisited...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I subscribe to a magazine called "compound semiconductors" and in the latest issue they were discussing LEDs.

It seems that 1000 lumen LEDs (available in various color temps to include the 5000 to 7000 kelvin range) are being made available. No listing of cost but as they are adopted more and more they should become cost competitive when energy savings and replacement costs are considered.

They projected LEDs to have a considerable market penetration in the next 10 years for automotive, business and home lighting.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing those hit the market.

Keep us posted.

But I'm a little confused as LED's are not typically rated in Luminous Flux (i.e. Lumens) they are instead typically rated in mcd (Milli-candelas). The difference being in one the apparent brightness to the eye and the other Luminous intesity (energy at a very specific despersion).

I would be very intersted in how they would get a Lumen measurement from LED's - did the article discuss this. For example a 5000 mcd LED - how many Lumens is that? There are alll sorts of mock formulas for this but there is no direct translation as they measure two very different qualities.

Also - did it mention anything about the LED's dispersion signature - these are typically very narrow based on the properties of the semiconductors used but for generating that many Lumens, I'd guess that they would have to have hugely wider dispersions.

Just curious - but sounds interesting.

Tom

I hate dealing with the candela - lumen translation. I've never found anything that supports a direct correlation. When two bulbs are listed these two units, it's almost impossible to compare them.

Although it would be awesome to light up your tank with leds giving off no heat and dropping your electricity consumption by 95%. That would make me get a ginormous tank :)

Hey tom, you want to start working on that one?

Jim

10 years, LED's are already in all of those markets. LED taillights and turnsignals on cars, LED's in commercial signs, LED's in entertainment lighting fixtures. The future is now.

Hey Jackdp

I'm not 100% sure but I think those apps use LED arrays - standard LED's with same light charactersistics as the standard LED (narrow spectrum, etc.) Certainly not wide spectrum 5000-7000K, 1000 Lumen units.

Tom

True, I missed the 1000 lumen single LED part above.. :oops: I too would be interested to see one of these...I work for an entertainment lighting company, I'll take a look and see if any of our suppliers offer these in fixtures yet.

I think that I read that LEDs light up .2 seconds faster than incandescent lightbulbs. Translated to 80 mph (who really dives 55-65?) which is 110 feet/sec, a car behind you is alerted 22 feet sooner that you are braking. I'm all for LEDs in everything.

Jim

That's rad that you took the time (however little it was) to make that calculation.
Yeah, LEDs are sweet. The lifespan on them rocks too.

Back
Top Bottom