Lighting ballasts: will any of these work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
At my local Lowe's (like HD, for those that don't know) I found the following:

Sylvania Magnetic Ballast MB2x96/HO/120v Rapid Start - $37
Sylvania Magnetic Ballast MB2x96/HO/120v Instant Start - $37

Will these work for PC?

I also found this:

Sylvania Electronic Ballast 4x32w Instant Start $30
Would this be useful at all? I still need to find a place for MH ballasts/moguls/etc...any advice, online stores or otherwise? Thanks!

dansemacabre said:
At my local Lowe's (like HD, for those that don't know) I found the following:

Sylvania Magnetic Ballast MB2x96/HO/120v Rapid Start - $37
Sylvania Magnetic Ballast MB2x96/HO/120v Instant Start - $37

Will these work for PC ?

Yes, they will work. They won't light the tubes as brightly as an electronic, they will likely hum, they will get pretty hot, and they are HUGE.

I also found this:

Sylvania Electronic Ballast 4x32w Instant Start $30
Would this be useful at all? I still need to find a place for MH ballasts/moguls/etc...any advice, online stores or otherwise? Thanks!

This is a pretty good ballast. It will light one 96w, two 65w, or four 28-32w PC's. It's small. It won't get very hot. It won't hum. For lighting more than one 96w PC, I'd look for a Fulham Workhorse 7 ballast. They can be had online for around $35-40 and will light two 96w PC's. For MH, check the sponsors on this site. Most of them have websites and several have MH lighting products.

Thank you for your help! I'm creating a new thread to get more exposure, with my overall lighting decision. If you can add comments there, they'd be more than welcome! I can't seem to figure out how your order page works (I'm pay-pal stupid), but I'd like to order some Vue MH ballasts from you, if I can figure out how to do it! If you want, PM me about it, or move this to your specific forum, I'm not sure where to put it. Again, thanks for ALL your help!

Back
Top Bottom