LoA bulbs with mogul base... need help powering!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great news I have sodered the bulb and the first bulb set up and it worked like a charm!!! Thank you so much JustDIY madd kudos to you!

glad to hear it!

thanks for the kudos, but I really want to see the pics! spare no detail ;)

I am almost there.. I need an extra pair of hands and World Poker tour is on.. so hard to do! but getting there.. just so glad it worked.. I can actually start getting some rock soon for the tank muwahahaha! :twisted:

well I am back and all I can say is... "wow". I haven't done many DIY projects, plus I am NO electrician, and even with some obstacles and burns :cry: its absolutely beautiful. And here are the pics...

and here's my tanks revolution!... first was reg flo's on it, then was one bulb before the "ballast" completely charred, and then comes the set up I created using a real ballast and lots of sodering... - I am still speechless that I could do this.. but I have to admit.. there is a God amoungst us within the DIY bracket... justDIY rules!!!!!!!!!! Even when my old man himself didn't think it should be done (which is rare that he is wrong about these things, but then again he is not a fan of aquariums), I got to prove his butt wrong with justDIY sheer wisdom... thanks again!!!!!!!! :D

Picture 008 is the first tank, then picture016 was the one bulb and then pic 054 was my final product.. its REALLY bright...

Hmm I was wondering.. should I have a fan in there? I have an 80mm computer fan, but wondering if it would actually do anything.. these bulbs don't seem to get that bad, plus the back is completely open.. I think th two bulbs should be cool enough.. what do you think?

it all depends on how much you notice your water temp going up because of the bulbs.

if by the end of the day your water is +5 from what it was that morning before the lights, then yes, I'd add a fan or two

also - are you going to add some VHO or PC actinics to that canopy ... 6500k bulbs won't give you very good color rendition on saltwater fish / creatures

Hmm.. haven't thought of that.. but considering I am getting marine plants and algae I don't think it'll be much of an issue.. plus I am getting a single puffer or eel for it. Is there a DIY way of doing it? :wink:

well, for PC you can use another ballast like the one you're using now... drive a pair of 65 watt PC actinic bulbs no problem

but for VHO, you need a VHO ballast, like the fulham or the icecap

the fulham wh7 can only drive a single 4ft vho, but the icecap can run 2 or 4 depending on the model

but if you want to persue, start another thread.

well I would persue but the problem is that I have almost no room under the hood for a ballast, plus its a 45G show tank, 3 feet long, it shouldn't need that much actnics should it?

Also is actinic lighting really needed for a FOWLR tank? Or is it for coloration reasons in my tank? I guess I'll finish setting up the tank and if I find that I don't like the color of the set up.. then I'll prob try to find a way to stick in a bulb. But are actinics needed for health reasons for my FOWLR tank?

Okay I am abck and have another question about the LoA set up. Without the ballast and using that standard set up that the LoA came with I got a picture like the blue one.. but after using the quicktronic 4X32 ballast and gutting everything else about the set up.. I got the following pic. what do you guys think caused the massive difference?

Oh whoops the first pic above was with one bulb without all the mods I did, and the second one is with two bulbs after the mods...

Hey guys...newbie here and I realize this thread is rather dated but I am faced with the exact same problem with trying to utilize these bulbs and all the pics have been removed from the archive or I just don't know how to view them. I am DIY inclined but without the pics or diagrams I am lost. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom