Made a new hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, it probably would have been more benificial if I'd taken pictures of me actually building it... hind-site is 20/20...
Dimensions: 72.5" x 18.5" x 7.5"
All in all, cost me $22.

2- 1x8 -8ft pine
2 2"x17" scraps of wood I had laying around for cross braces, also serving as a mount for the light.
can of stain, didn't get the color quite right.

newhood.jpg

Looks great, I am planning on doing the same thing with my tank. Can you get a pic from the top down?

Here ya go, this hood also makes it a lot harder for my prized companions to jump out of the tank. I've lost a couple to that in the past.

On the back end, I used a jigsaw and cut grooves for the power heads, cables, air hoses, etc. that way there are no gaps for anything to get through.

hood.jpg

Yes, I bought the tank new during a promotion where if you buy the stand, the tank is free lol. This tank wasn't supposed to be applicable to the promotion, but I pulled some strings and got this 120 gal for 300 brand new. It didn't come with anything but the tank and stand. It has 2 cross braces on top. Previously I hung the light from the ceiling, it was ok, but the light would shine you in the face when you looked at the tank, and I got tired of that.

Great deal on the tank! I bought my 90 gallon used for $250 with filter, lids, substrait, light, a few other things including 12 fish, lol. My light is sitting on the glass lid right now and I am looking for something that looks better.

Well, this was really easy and cheap, and looks decent-good. However, I wouldn't recommend this exact design unless your stand+tank+hood are right at or above eye level. The top view of this design looks cheesy IMO.

If it's a short setup, you could do basically this, but with some sort of top, maybe a flip up door from plywood with some nice trim on it or something.

Back
Top Bottom