Make your own pond filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Pete

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Home Made Fish Pond Filter Approx Cost $25.00au.

From your friendly plumber “Obtain” a 300m length of 64mm inside measurement plastic water pipe. From the same friendly plumber “Obtain” a 150 mm length of Pressure plastic pipe that fits neatly inside the larger pipe.

Cut the 150mm length into 20mm pieces. I have a small lathe and I used it to cut the small length of plastic pipe to get accurate cuts and to finish off the scraggy bits of plastic.

From the Plumbers again, you will now have to dig into the pocket, unless he is a really friendly plumber, you will need two pipe ends, slip on ones to fit the larger dia. Pipe. You will also need to hose inserts, there are some threaded ones, but as no pressure is applied with the average fountain pump, they do not have to be fixed or glued into the end of the pipe end covers.

Drill 20mm hole in each pipe end cover and insert the 20mm hose pipe connectors, you can glue if you wish, but you can also get an inside plastic nut to tighten this connection. I takes the larger plastic pipe that is used with your fountain and pump. You will need to have two hose clamps for these end fittings.

Almost ready to go: At the pet or Aquarium suppliers you will be able to purchase ($14.00) open cell filter medium, usually in sheet form, the green one is best, one pack will give you more than enough filter substrate for this size filter.

I cut the filter substrate into neat rounds using a filed down hole saw and attachment. I filed the teeth off the saw, and sharpened the OUTSIDE of a suitable sized hole saw.

I fitted this device into the drill press, removing the drill bit from the hole saw first, I clamped a board on the drill press table and then placed a pre drilled piece of 'hold down board' on top of the filter substrate and cut the circle of filter material cleanly and neatly.

If you do not make a hold down board, the filter material can catch and rip out, wasting that bit of material.

You filter is now ready to assemble: One inner plastic ring, one filter substrate, one inner plastic ring one filter substrate, and so on until the 300mm is full or close to it.

Drill two holes,1/16th in the side of the end caps and correspondingly in the outer pipe, fix with stainless screws, connect the hoses and clamps, switch on the pump and Walla!

My pond is 1400L and is nice and clean with weekly cleaning of filter substrate, a ten minute job. Filter substrate is resuable, just wash it out.

The length of this type of filter is your decision. If you get the pipe for free the costs will remain the same.

Other suggestions: If you have a double outlet pump you can turn the filter off from time to time, although some advise to leave the filter running all the time.

With a two outlet pump, when the filter starts to get towards cleaning time, the fountain gets higher or bigger, which is an indication to clean the filter; however no damaging back pressure occurs as the fountain allows for the extra flow in that area.

If you can see any refinements for this system please let us know in this forum.

Old Pete

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures? I'm trying to figure this out but I think we call things different where I am... Thanks!

Is this what you basically mean?
8104-albums8659-picture64921.jpg

To make a photo album go here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/album.php?do=addalbum

Back
Top Bottom