Making my own Aquarium decoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorbait101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there any way to make your own fish tank decorations? I was thinking about making some decorations out of clay that you bake to dry. I was just unsure if any clay was safe. Also if there is any paint to use that would be fish safe. Any other ideas?

Don't use polymer clay. It leeches just about everything into the water. Air dry clay obviously will get soft in water.

Superglue and acrylic paint are both okay.

Any ideas on quicrete type stuff?

Theres a few videos on YouTube for making backgrounds and underwater waterfalls and all kinds of stuff!

Plus if yer doing a planted tank, foam insulation with a coat of crete makes great moss walls and such.

Ive heard great things about acrylic Drylock as well.

I have seen many forums where Sculpey, a polymer clay has been used with great success. But also comments not to. The clay when baked is supposed to be inert. I have also read about concrete, but it leeches into water as well. So people soak it and change out the water for a period of time with many water changes. I also seen aquarium grade silicone used for building rock structures, and have read the silicone must be cured as well for a few days or it will leech into the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was looking up sculpey last night, but I was unsure about if it was safe to use. I have seen some posts that said it was, but I wanted to make sure before I put a lot of money into fish and this end up killing them.

I use pvc pipe for tank decoration if you heat it you can make all anything then you can stick stones to it with aquarium safe silicone

Is there any way to make your own fish tank decorations? I was thinking about making some decorations out of clay that you bake to dry. I was just unsure if any clay was safe. Also if there is any paint to use that would be fish safe. Any other ideas?

I posted this just before I read your post!

I recently spoke to a friend that makes and sells molds and products. He uses polyester resin to cast the (decoration item) piece. Is this safe for the fish as a decorative insert in a freshwater community tank?

If so, which fish safe paint can I use to paint the piece?

Thank-you
Thereza

I posted this just before I read your post!

I recently spoke to a friend that makes and sells molds and products. He uses polyester resin to cast the (decoration item) piece. Is this safe for the fish as a decorative insert in a freshwater community tank?

If so, which fish safe paint can I use to paint the piece?

Thank-you
Thereza
I used some polyester mesh to hold some plants, and they all died. The same plants in the same tank were fine. I don't know why it would matter, but it seemed to.

I do this. Because what I want we can't find. We use staneware clay. Fire it in the kiln. Sometimes we glaze it. It's safe. Don't use oil base or Polymer clay. We have thought about selling them on our online shop. We personalize and everything.

Does anyone know what most store-bought decorations are made from? I've tried to research it but I wasn't able to get an answer other than "resin". Well, there's lots of "resins" out there...

Does anyone know what most store-bought decorations are made from? I've tried to research it but I wasn't able to get an answer other than "resin". Well, there's lots of "resins" out there...
Go to Reynolds.Com we make molds also and use the silicone from there and saw some flyers about this aquarium resin they carry. It looks cool we signed up for a class about it later this year. They are super nice and helpfull

Back
Top Bottom