Marine fish food thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I rinse the large pieces of fish, but not shrimp and squid tubes....I have never had an adverse reaction from this. I have also cut pieces off of a filet I'm just about to cook for myself and put some in the tank, with no Ill effects.

I rinse the large pieces of fish, but not shrimp and squid tubes....I have never had an adverse reaction from this. I have also cut pieces off of a filet I'm just about to cook for myself and put some in the tank, with no Ill effects.

Oh ok. I am about to make mine so we shall see how it goes!

It took me 3 stores to find someone that carried these ingredients but I'm heading there now to buy the stuff. Only thing is the guy on the phone said they don't have fresh shrimp yet. So I may have to improvise

I make my own food, as I've mentioned in various threads, and just made a small batch last night, so I thought I would document it to show folks how easy it is.
Feel free to add your own recipes and ideas.

I usually stick to the same recipe, but sometimes I will slightly change it depending on what's available at the store when I get there. I also tend to stay away from the real fatty fish. I think this just dirties up the tank.

So, first, I am fortunate enough to have this food processor to be able to mix this up. Some of you will have to beg the wife, as most women who aren't in the hobby and see me doing this are quite repulsed for some reason. This particular food processor was donated to "the cause" by my ex after she saw me using it for this purpose....lol.
img_2766156_0_87653b7ed1e3d07dd07e561421918fb7.jpg

So, the recipe this time was shrimp, smelts, Squid, Ocean perch, whitefish, and cyclo-peeze. I did not use any vitamin supplements as I find these assorted fresh mixtures to be plenty nutritious for fish and corals without it.
Just a small amount of each. As you can see by the prices on the containers, the most expensive thing was the cyclo-peeze.
img_2766156_1_bbf497298e92209164304c9195642274.jpg

Make sure everything is thawed, and shelled, and toss it all in the processor-
img_2766156_2_a11be580bfeaf826947ea7444afc3a4b.jpg

Grind it up nicely- now this is a bit tricky, because I want my mix to be small enough to fit through my feeding syringe, but not so small that it just dissolves in the tank water, so you might have to do this a few times to get it right.
This mix here seems perfect-
img_2766156_3_a7d4442248bb5121d65e527657947d61.jpg

Now I take it out with a rubber spatula and put it in gallon ziplocks, and roll it out with a rolling pin (another thing you might have to beg the wife to use :D )
img_2766156_4_ace51cd4dc8d0cc067cda80053c94936.jpg

And just freeze them.
You can make a fresh mixture for about a tenth of what the LFS sells you that smelly garbage they call premium food for, and you can be sure what's in it, and how old it is.
If I didn't offer nori on a clip on a regular basis, I would have probably added it.
img_2766156_5_d026ed00dd4a357b2fde2effa6d921bd.jpg

I have cured multiple tangs from the disease "HLLE" which is brought on by poor nutrition, with this food, so I am sure it's quite nutritious.
Happy Reefing!

I had a good laugh when you said have to beg the wife to use the food processer because my husband has not seen me make the fish food and he would have a cow knowing what was put in there... Definitely will have to try this recipe because my sail fin has hlle.

I don't think HEB will have that type of fish... You mentioned white fish is there any particular white fish that is the best to use?

update! fish are absolutely obsessed with this new food. its 10x easier to feed and its exponentially cleaner (tank water-wise) than that junk i was feeding before. i still want to tweak the ingredients a bit but im def sticking to this. not to mention it was prob 10% the cost to make as the store bought stuff. hoping to work in some cyclop-eeze and nori in the next batch

I work in a seafood dept in a ny supermarket people are always stopping by picking up fish for their fish

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom