Maxijet 1200 on DIY closed loop wavemaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brett_mil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After having a look at the design on this site http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

I am thinking of building one of these, but was wondering if a maxijet 1200 would work in this setup. Not sure if the MJ can be out of the water as this would be.

Anyone know if my pump will work on this?

TIA

The maxijet1200 would have next to no flow after dealing with the backpressure of the SQWD. I would suggest at a minimum a MAG5 like they used. The maxijet is not designed to be run out of the water so they are water cooled where as the MAG is designed to be used either submerged or external.

Quite honestly I might use this kind of setup on my 80 gal tank.

no idea what that has anything to do with it but no i dont consiter DIY to be a specialty of mine.

But I can tell you from experence thw SQWD will increase the head pressure on the pump and the maxijet since its a powerhead is not designed to work under high head pressure. Although it pumps ok up to 60" of head the flow is greatly reduced. What good is a wave maker if its putting out less than 100GPH in any direction? At that rate the SQWD would alternate sides every 45 - 60 seconds where as at higher rates like 400GPH you can alternate sides at a rate of once every 20-25 sec.

Thanks for the response.

After posting my question, I have also realised that the flow rate on the MJ1200 would not suffice.

Do you think this wavemaker design could be plumbed into the return from a sump? or would you keep it seperate?

Thanks again! :wink:

Of course you can just use the SQWD on the return from your sump. Thats how I am using it on my 75 gal tank with a MAG7. That of course would not give you more flow in the tank but would give you alternating currents.

Back
Top Bottom