Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mbuna cave structure

Her Mbuna type tank on Youtube.

I was interested when I saw this video on youtube... yeah it looks good. But all those cave rocks were glued together (she said) before putting them all in the tank. So, I guess the rocks can't fall or get rearranged. And I'm thinking it is possible to lift the whole structure out once a year or so and cleaned and put back in. But I would want it smaller or maybe in two pieces (to make removal easier).

Still, it looks like a fine idea to arrange the whole structure outside the tank until satisfied, take a picture, then break it down and put it back together permanently with silicone sealant (which is apparently what she did).

Old 07-30-2018, 12:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like her creativity and hardscaping talent. IMO it's a better, simpler plan just to search your local commercial rock yard or landscaping company for Honeycombed Limestone / Texas Holey Rock. Caves and crevaces already provided by Mother Nature. Try to locate flat bottom pieces. You'll find much cheaper prices at the Rock yard as compared to your LFS.
Pictured is a side view of my African tank, hardscaped with Texas Holey Rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180726_092309.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	309855  

Tags
cave, mbuna

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com