metal halide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
does anyone have a metal halide ballast scematic to share?

and could i buy these parts at lowes or home depot?

thanks

mark

I don't believe that lowes or home depot stocks MH ballasts. I picked up my 250w magnetic ballast from a local electrical supply store. It costs around $40 bucks for the ballast.

The ballast will have a wiring diagram right on it. I'll try to find a picture of one on the internet in the mean time.

Here is a basic wiring diagram for a multi tap 250w M58/M37 magnetic ballast which is exactly what I have. Its really easy to wire. My 120v incoming line (black wire on my cord that comes from the wall outlet) goes to the blk/yellow wire coming out of the ballast. The 208v taps and up are not used on my multi tap since my ballast is running on 120v so those are tied together and not used.

Second, the red wire coming out of the ballast connects to the capacitor. Third, the other half of the capacitor is attached to the middle connector of the bulb socket. Fourth, the outside connector of the socket is attached to the common (yellow) wire. Lastly, the neutral wire (white) coming out of my power cord is attached to the common yellow wire coming out of the ballast.

It may look a little complicated, but once everything is in front of you, you will figure it out.

Attachments

• wiring_178.jpg
    wiring_178.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 35
IMO go with a electronic ballast. You will be happier with your power bill and it will generate much less heat.

thanks biggen i'll give it a try (i might be e-mailing you with some ques if thats ok)

thanks again

mark

No problem, Mark. Just let me know if you have any questions.

Brenden is absolutely correct about an electronic ballast generating less heat and consuming slightly less power. But because of the location of my ballast (6ft above the tank and lights) the heat didn't make any difference to me. Besides that, my LFS wanted to charge $150 for an Ice Cap 250w ballast. A little pricey for my blood.

yeah, my lights are going to be for a frag tank and quite a bit over the tank anyways. and also cheaper is better.

thanks

mark

Back
Top Bottom