metals in aquarium???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshcanfield

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey I am building a drift wood center piece out of polymer clay for my aquarium. I need a medium to use as a skeleton and a space filler. How to Scuplt Polymer Clay Tree | VhampyreArt.com . here is a basic idea of what I need to do. but of course upside down to look like a root system. I have read some concerning things about metals in an aquarium. and i know aluminum foil is no good because it corrodes and will harm my fish. I dont know how the clay is about letting things soak through it and idk if the corrosion will leak through the clay. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Does any body know of any mediums I can use instead of the wire and the foil for this project. I also thought to just cure 1/4'' pieces of clay at a time and keep layering it but idk if that works or not.

thanks,
josh

I don't think i'd use sculpting clay either. I don't know if it has anything in it that will cause an issue but I have read a few resources that say to stay away from it. Granted, it was for a different aquarium application.

I've used natural clay several times for root tabs and other stuff, and also terra cotta pieces without any problem.

There are a couple of nice builds around here using construction foam and sealing it with an epoxy or something similar. Someone did a tree root background recently.

Back
Top Bottom