Mirror Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Has anyone used or considered using a mirror as a backdrop on their tank? Im wondering if it would add depth or do the opposite.

Edit:
oops, I think I may have put this in the wrong forum :oops:

But, 10 min's, an old mirror and a glass cutter, installed this mirror on the back of my 5 gal Q-tank. You get different views depending on where you look at it from. It makes the bottom seem twice as large and adds depth. Looks like twice as many fish too. Looks like there is no background. Maybe the real artistic type could paint plants or something on the mirror

Attachments

• mirror_001_201.jpg
    mirror_001_201.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 788
Just for interests sake and something fun to do, I painted palm trees on the mirror to break up the mirrorness. Palm trees and grass are all I can draw(besides Beavis and Butthead). Actualy, it looks pretty cool and is something different, besides run of the mill store bought backgrounds. Someone with 'real' artistic skills or stencils could do wonders with something like this and on a small 5 gal like this one, it is nice.

Attachments

• mirror_008_178.jpg
    mirror_008_178.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 805
  • mirror_004_196.jpg
    mirror_004_196.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,005
the effect of the painted on trees is interesting.

as long as your fish don't act spooked by the mirror'd background it should be fine.

Looks good...except now the fish will all be at the back of the tank chasing their reflections. :)

Lol, the danios basicaly ignore themselves in the reflection, but I have added plants and the small 5 gal tank just seems to be larger, even tho it is only an illusion. The tree's create another illusion of fish swimming behind them in the depths of the tank. Since I last posted in this thread, I have dug out my old silk screening kit and I am going to redo the design on the mirror with something more sofisticated than my rudimentory palm tree art work. If the small tank works out, I am considering a larger version for the 55 gal, with a silk screen design background, but with help from a real artist first.

I might have to run a test first with a small mirror to see if any of these fish would try to fight themselves in their reflection;

Black Skirt Tetra's
Clown Loaches
Dojo Loaches
Cory Cats
Lamp Eye Tetra's

But these are all schooling community fish and should get along with themselves(I hope).

I gave away a 20 gal tank that had a mirror for the back glass. I also had fish that were afraid of their own reflection and would always be hiding from themselves. :drinking: LOL!

Back
Top Bottom