Moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayhawker518

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I was reading a post a while ago about Xiodiode Lights that are used as moonlights on my SW Tank. These are the lights that normally go in a computer case.

So i bought a couple of them. However I have no idea how to hook them up!!! I connected them to my computer and they worked but im not leaving my computer near my tank just to run some lights.

Does anyone have a schema of how to run these without the computer? How to hook them up at all? Thanks

Kevin

You need to find what voltage they run on and find a suitable wall transformer for that. Usually most people have tons of extra transformers laying around from old electronic devices. Hopefully you are comfortable with soldering.

well since there hooked to a pc most likely your going to be running 12 volt DC, now some devices in a pc get stepped down to different voltages via the power supply, but I would put my money on it that they are 12 volt. I would find an old 9 or 12 volt wall adapter lying around thats DC and ry wiring them up that way, or if ya wanna get all mechanicla looking you can get a ATX power supply that has a switch for different voltages and wire them up that way. you could mount the power supply in your canopy ( if you have one ) and make it look really cool and expensive lol

Hey, Thanks for the replies. I was trying to use a DC power supply from a light, definitely the wrong idea i blew the breaker in my house. I will get a power supply from something i have laying around tonight and try that, I definitely wasnt thinking last night when i tried it. Thanks. Hopefully ill get some pictures if i get it all to work.

Back
Top Bottom