More Chiller Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The only thing between a perfect tank and me is my tank temp :(

I think most chillers in the market are a bit over price for my 30g tank :(

Anyway after when through some brain storming session n research i can across this site:-

http://www.electracool.com/

I wonder whether i could chill the tank with "ElectraCOOL
Thermoelectric Modules" mount between the tank's glass n a heat sink.

I would appreciate if anyone with experience with "Thermoelectric Modules" could advise me regarding this matter.

TIA

What is your daytime high temp on your tank? How does that compair to your nighttime temperature?

There are many other ways to cool a tank other than a chiller.

I live in M'sia. Typical room temp is approx 84-89F.

Despict with 3 x 3 inches DC fan blowing the tank surface the temp still 83-86F at day n 83-84F at nite. the fan are connected to same timer with the light. FYi, 56W (~1.8 wpg) wit CO2 as i cannot install additional light duel to the heat.

FYI, a 5cm x 5cm size of this device can reduce up to 170W of heat!!! and it cost >$15 on ebay...

Well I'm new but, I dable a little bit in water cooling for computers......
The easiest way to cool water it through evaporation, so setup a waterfall or a fountain. When whatever evaporates it absorbs energy, which is why we sweat. Otherwise just blow a fan over it.....

it's a very interesting concept to cool using basically a PC heatsink... but I'm not sure of how effiecient it would be through aquarium glass. According to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/rvalue.html 1/8" of glass has a r-value (it's ability to insulate from heat transfer) of .89. Which about twice that of 1/2" of drywall. Seems like you wouldn't get much heat trasfer through the glass.

Seems like you'd be better off attaching the fan to some sort of efficient heat probe that sat in the water... but i think there is actually a chiller out there that does exactly that... i can't remember the name of it though...

Back
Top Bottom