moving 150 gallon to carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maghnuis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
help!
I am moving my 150 Gallon to a new house. There is carpet in the room it is going to. I have the typical purpose built wooden stand for it.

When our dog was kenneled beneath the boys top bunk, we put down a nearly indestructible sheet of plastic that he lived on while indoors.

Would a sheet like that help even out the floor to keep the tank and stand level and even?

Thank you anyone who knows about such thinga.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Plastic sheeting won't help level the floor for an aquarium.

Carpets aren't normally a problem for aquariums unless you spill water on them, then they go mouldy. But the weight of the tank and stand should squash the carpet and level it out.

Assuming the floor is level, there should be no real need to add or do anything to the carpet. If the floor is uneven (not level), then you can use a couple of pieces of 4x2 inch pine and put them under the base of the stand. Alternatively, you might need some shims (thin pieces of wood or metal) and slide them under the base of the stand in areas where it isn't flat.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Plastic sheeting won't help level the floor for an aquarium.

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify, I am talking about roughly 1/2" ABS, not a drop cloth. Yes, Keeping water out of the carpet would be it's other job. Without thus sheet, I imagine the edges of the stand would concentrate more of their wait is squashing carpet down.

It isn't shag carpeting, but it is pretty thick.

You can put 1 inch thick pieces of wood under each foot/ leg of the stand to spread the weight out a bit and level the carpet. But any fish tank stand will squash carpet so if it's a rental property or a carpet you value, perhaps find another spot for the tank so it doesn't damage the small areas under the stand.

I wouldn't cover a large area of carpet under a fish tank with plastic of any sort, be it thin plastic or thick pieces of plastic. If any water gets onto the carpet, it might stay damp under the plastic for a long time and cause mould. Wood is a better choice because it can breathe more than plastic and would dry out faster if it gets wet, which hopefully it won't.

Back
Top Bottom