Moving large tank advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the wall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi newbie needs help

I have a 5ft 320 ltr tank with 2 10" Oscars and 2 8" Plecs and i need to move the tank and the sideboard for a new carpet and put it back again, could you tell me what the best way to do the move.

My thoughts are to get 3 90ltr containers for the water, but i'm worried about stressing the fish, how do i catch them with less stress, do i have to take every thing out of the tank including gravel which is only 2" deep.

How long is a reasonable time for the fish to be in a container.

I would remove the gravel good opportunity to clean it as dirty as Oscars are . easy way of dropping 100+ lbs of weight
a tank of that size needs to be broke down as its a heavy tank empty , the stand probably weighs a 100lbs or so itself
going to be a big job so take advantage while its broke down to clean
keep all filter media submerged to keep bb alive

I agree with seaweed on the cleaning. On the other note about the fish and plecos. I'd line your bathtub with plastic, like the big thick roll you get to winterize your windows , something that's non toxic. And put the heater and as much of the water from the tank as you can in the tub then put them in there. Using the same water for less stress.

I always used Rubbermaid totes as temporary storage for fish, especially larger ones and have never had a problem. Just hang the filter and heater on the side of the tote and run it as usual.

Back
Top Bottom