multi-tank stand advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigougit

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been trying to find plans for a stand that can hold more than one tank, but to no avail, I'm not too confident I'd make it sturdy enough if I designed it my self. I'm making it to hold a 20L tank on bottom and a 30g on top

20 litre? thats not very heavy so i would just say screw in a shelf underneath to give u the room that u will need for your tank and then make a few L brackets for support.

If you mean a 20 Long then you will obviously need more support. How crafty are you?? Are you lookking for simple or elegant?

yes sorry, its a 20 gallon long. But, Its my snake's tank so it's not as heavy. I guess you could say I'm pretty crafty but not like a craftsman or anything lol

Right now I'm hoping to go with cheap over elegant, I've found some pictures of stands for 2 125g tanks but it doesnt quite show everything

hi mate,

does this help?
img_697484_0_65c3aa54ddddbaef3df6cf9413e615d0.jpg

seeing as it's only 30g and a snake tank you won't really need to rebate the legs into the frame, just be sure to use the longest screws possible and a good builders grade glue like liquid nails.
It it's any use to you im free to answer questions..

Matt.

mrothwell AT hatch.com.au

wow, thanks. I'm guessing its made of 1x2s, 2x4s and 4x4s, if im wrong or if theres a certain type of wood to use than please tell me. Thanks for all your help

For your tanks, 2x4's should be fine for the structure. I recommend you find kiln dried wood, rather than the normal framing lumber. It is less likely to warp/twist over time as it seasons.

Well, hopefully that wont be too hard to find. We used to have a lumber yard here but it closed a year or 2 ago. Hopefully home depot has it lol

I'm guessing its made of 1x2s, 2x4s and 4x4s, if im wrong or if theres a certain type of wood to use than please tell me.

You guessed right :) This stand was also designed to suit a 50gallon.
3 things,
put a layer of mdf over the top of the stand underneath the foam just to help smooth out any discrepencies in the woodworking (Not that i'm suggesting there will be) and counter sink screw it in.

How much weight is in the snake tank, you could get away with something like 1x2 or 1x3(if it's available?)for the shelf if theres not much weight in it. otherwise I would go 2x4 for the whole lot.

and how wide is the 30g? You probably won't need the horizontal braces running the length of the stand in the centre, just use the one in the centre running front to back. might save a couple bucks.

hey if you can find something slightly smaller then 2x4, like 2 x 3 use that instead. It will hold.

HTH

Thanks so much, The snake tank can't weigh more than 50 pounds (some of the decorations are pretty hefty). Both tanks are 12.5"x30.25" but I want there to be 24 inches from the bottom of the snake tank to the bottom of the 30g. This is so any heat escaping from the tank wont affect the one above it. Thanks everyone for their comments and advice! :p

Plan on putting a layer of insulating "foamboard" under the top tank. You can get it at just about any home center, and it helps correct for any irregularities in the wood supporting the tank. It will also insulate the bottom of the tank, preventing the heat from the reptile tank from having much (if any) effect.

Back
Top Bottom