Multi Tank Sump/Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is this a:

• Great Idea!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good Idea!

• Bad Idea!

• Horrendous Idea that should be stricken from my thought patterns forever!

• Total voters

perrymedik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

This is my first post on this board and I am looking for a little help.

I am in the process of setting up Multipal breeding tanks. I have been doing a lot of research on the net about about filtering and sumps etc.

My diagram shows an idea I have concocted in my head, but I do not know the feasibiltiy of it, nor the minor details of how to get it done.

However here are some things that I do know I need help on..

1.) The tanks would not be pre-drilled requiring the overflow to be via U/J, but how does one go about setting that up.

2.) Tanks would more then likely be inconsistent in size, but would that make any difference?

3.)How do you set up a Sump exactly and how does it work?
a.)What filter media do I use?
b.)Does this media require being changed periodicly like Over the back filters?
c.)

4.)How does one make a Refugium?

I have attached a diagram that gives a rough Idea of what I am thinking of. Are my theories correct? I've never experiemented with this before. I'm sure I should probably try a smaller version on my 150g first to understand the principles, but I've never been one to try things half heartedly LOL.

PLEASE give me all the specifics you can.

In my mind this is a way of making the water more stable and reducing the amount of equipment that I would need to buy, in addition it is expandable for when I need to add more tanks down the road.

I thank you very much for you help!

hmm, My file seems to be to big. How to I make is smaller? If you would like to see it, please Instant messenge me or send me an e-mail and I will send it to you. Thanks again for the help!

Well I can give you advice in both directions.

First, mutiple tanks combined onto one system is ideal for the breeding setup. As you isolate the young into growout tanks, they will experience the same conditions as the parents.

On the other hand, when breeding you often want to affect only a single tank. Perhaps you want to do a massive water change to induce breeding in one tank but not the others. A similar problem is that sometimes eggs require pristine conditions for hatching which can be hard to obtain in a multiple tank setup.

in the situation of a water change, could I not close off the return valve for that tank, do the water change and then use a standard over the back filter as a temporary filtration means untill the female is holding?

Also, for the eggs, i would used isolated 10g tanks I think.

Do these sound like logical solutions?

Back
Top Bottom