Multiple tank setup - help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingcichlid87

Aquarium Advice Activist
i want to setup multiple tanks for breeding diffrent types of fish . but i dont want to use individual filters and heaters in each of the tanks . best way would be to setup a sump. but how is the best and easiest way of doing the plumbing . any help would be great .. thanks alot

The easiest way I've come up with is to drill each tank and add an overflow that drains into the sump. Then you just need a capable pump that puts the water back into the tanks and some sort of flow adjustment so that each tank is getting an adequate flow in it. This is how I plan to set up my tanks eventually, but drilling them is kind of a daunting task for me so I've been putting it off.

Also, if you are breeding, a universal filter isn't great. That is your breeding fish of similar breeding water parameters. A SA Cichlid obviously needs it different than an African. This is impossible to do with central filtration.

What I've done so far is just get a commercial style air pump and run sponge filtration on all the tanks. It doesn't solve the heater issue, but I live in a warm area so I rarely use heaters anyway.

jetajockey said:
What I've done so far is just get a commercial style air pump and run sponge filtration on all the tanks. It doesn't solve the heater issue, but I live in a warm area so I rarely use heaters anyway.

+1

Airpump filters are far and away the best filtration for breeding I've found (not that I'm a breeding expert by any means).

ok thanks guys ill keep looking into what diffrent types of filtration i can use . but sponge filters are looking like the best option at the moment . but it doesnt solve the heater problem like jeta mentioned. i live in west london so the weathers up and down all the time i defo need heaters lol ..

Yeah that's a problem. Best option is finding heaters that you can adjust the temp at (not those auto 76 degree ones). But, again, that can get pricey.

Kingcichlid87 said:
i can get a 6way pump so thats the 6 sponge filters sorted out . will the 6 individual heaters take up much electricity ? ?

Aside from lighting, aquarium equipment generally doesn't use that much electricity.

The pain in the butt will just having enough places to plug in all the stuff!

Back
Top Bottom