Multiple tank stand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok folks...here is what I want to do. I have a doorway that is 76" high and 31" wide. I would like to build a stand to house hopefully 3-4 10 gal tanks and 1 5 gal tank. Any suggestion on what I would need to purchase to do this? What type wood and sugh.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Tiff

well you could frame it all out in 2X4's and then cover it with some funature grade plywood having cutouts for the tanks. Is this going to be acessible from only 1 side or visable on both sides? If its on one side then you can leave the back so as you can work on the tanks and change the bulbs, etc.

Well, I have what is called a furniture door in my living room. Can't use it for anything but that, as the landlord won't give my a key, so it will be acessable from only one side. I would like it to be sort of like a book shelf. Would just a book shelf work? Cause I know one of those fits in the doorway as I had one in there before. I just want to make sure it is strong enough to support the weight of the tanks. Thanks again.

Tiff

a prefab build it yourself bookshelf probably wouldn't support the weight of the tanks. 1 us gallon weighes 8.3lbs (1 10 gallon tank will wiegh 83lbs) but you also need to remember that's just the water; lighting, subtrate, filters, rocks, and tank itself will need to be taken into account as well. 1 10gallon tank can weigh upto 125lbs. and if you want to have 4 you will be looking at something in ther 500lb range. i think the best bet would to build your own stand.

lol yeah i know what you mean thai.. has me sort of interested in a bookcase of tanks.. hoping to get some ideas from this thread, and of course help work out some bugs.

gal, i am sorry i didn't say this eelier.

somewhere on garth.org 's labyrinth of a website are plans/demos on how to make a multiple tank stand, tank on top of tank style. i saw it about 3 weeks ago but can not find the link for it now. i will continue my hunt tomorrow.. but wanted to comment on that.. in case some one knows the url of it.. someone plz help with this.. i don't want to go back into the maze by myself!

ty JProx....you live kinda close to me...and you said it seems like you kinda fun...so if you wanna take a stab at it I will but it off of ya...lol

Let me know

after another 30mins of searching i can not find anything. the sad thing though.. is that the article at garf wasn't a diy page, but a picture show of where corals go after they are propagrated. i wish i could find it, before it was a pretty nice example of tank on tank.

gal, i would like to help but i just don't have the time, and plus i am just really getting my feet wet in stand building anyway (built 1 so far, thinking of doing another) but i know someone who might be able to help you, his id is yaksplat, he's in pa if i remember correctly and he knows exactly what he's doing.

hopefully you and him can work something out, he's good guy.

hey gal i am really sorry. i just don't want to build something, hand it over to you.. then have it implode in on itself because i am inexperienced. wish i could help, but just don't want to create more problems for you.

Back
Top Bottom