My DIY CO2 question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I think I started a solution that's actually going to work. It's been going now for 3 days. But I have a problem, there's a leak in the main bottle where the CO2 tube goes in. I put the hole in the cap just big enough to tightly fit the tube in, then used aquarium sealant on both the underside and on the top. And I let it cure for 24 hours. But when I put the cap on, it starts leaking after a couple hours and the sealant looks like it's dissolving, and is wet. What can I use to make a more permanent leak-proof top? (not permanent on the bottle, but permanent where the tubing goes in)

I really like using the Foremost Bulkhead Fittings. Make sure to get the Blue and Yellow like in the link, as the Red and Green are too small and won't fit the tubing. They create a mecanical seal so there's no messing with glue to try to get an airtight fit. Use a small peice of airline tubing to rest right under the widest part and you get an even better seal when you slip the CO2 tubing onto the fitting.

Purrbox said:
I really like using the Foremost Bulkhead Fittings. Make sure to get the Blue and Yellow like in the link, as the Red and Green are too small and won't fit the tubing. They create a mecanical seal so there's no messing with glue to try to get an airtight fit. Use a small peice of airline tubing to rest right under the widest part and you get an even better seal when you slip the CO2 tubing onto the fitting.

That is more like what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.. :)

Question, will 2 fit in a single cap?

I used to have a few unsavoury habits in my younger days which taught me everything I need to now about getting hose sealed into plastic bottles.

Cut the hose on an angle so it forms a point. Hold the cap level and remove the interior seal(You don't need it). Hold a lighter with the flame just above where you want the hole, do not let the flame touch the plastic or it burns too fast. Once the plastic melts a small hole will open up(If the lid is flat it will be perfectly round). Let it cool for a few seconds then stab the hose through, the anglecut will help with this. If the hose is not rigid enough to do this then put the tip of the angle through and pull through with pliers. The trick is to stop the burn when the hole is very small, once it gets to the size of the tubing it's much too big!

You can put two holes in one lid but it requires a bit of practice, but using this method will also let you put hoses straight in to the bottle, the thicker plastic around the next of the bottle (Depending on the bottle of course) Is the best place to do this.

Done right it will create a perfect, long wearing seal!!

i was having the same problem and i think it is becasue the plastic is to smooth for the sealant to grab. so i scratch the crap out of the plastic around the hole where the sealant will be going onto. this is like putting bondo on a car. u can put it on paint or bare metle but it wont grap unless it is scratch up.(never put bondo on paint or smooth metal lol just an example)

Lonewolfblue said:
Purrbox said:

That is more like what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.. :)

Question, will 2 fit in a single cap?

It'd be a bit of a tight fit in a standard pop bottle, but may be doable. If you switch to juice bottles with the wider caps or those pop bottles with the wide mouth, then two would fit with no problem what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom