My DIY Light Fixture.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone.

I thought I would share some pictures of my light fixture. I have a question to ask also. But first, I will tell you about it.

I bought everything I needed for this at Home Depot for under $70. It could have cost me much less if I would have had the lumber on hand like I normally do. And if, I hadn't decided to use toggle switches. I used them so I could turn off 3 bulbs and leave one (going to be a red bulb) on for night viewing.

I can barely walk into my shop/garage due to it being full of my mothers stuff. She fell on hard times and I had to move her in with us. But that's another story for another day. So, I built the box in my driveway on a 20*F day using a handsaw, circular saw, hammer & nails and glue. Oh! And I used a RotoZip to fix an "oops". All in all, I think it turned out decent.

I intend to do a much nicer unit when I can use real tools to do so. I also intend to paint it once the temperature rises this spring.

Here some pics. A question to follow.

fianl02sk2.jpg

fianl04se3.jpg

fianl09aq5.jpg

In this last photo, where the bulbs attach on the right, you can see my "oops". I made an error in my measurements of the bulbs and the sockets and hade to remove a bit of material to get them to fit. Oh well, you cant see it from the outside. :wink:

My question. I was thinking of adding a piece of plexiglass or maybe screen to the bottom (between the tank and the bulbs). Do you think this is necessary? The bulbs will be 4-6 inches above the water I think. I know fish can jump pretty well. But do you think they would jump up into the light fixture?

Very nice job, especially out in the cold!

I'd be more worried about the potential for splashing water up on your ballasts, bulbs, and wiring. Maybe at 6" you'd be okay though. I think if you enclose it you'll probably want some cooling fans to be installed.

neilanh said:
Very nice job, especially out in the cold!

I'd be more worried about the potential for splashing water up on your ballasts, bulbs, and wiring. Maybe at 6" you'd be okay though. I think if you enclose it you'll probably want some cooling fans to be installed.

Water and electricity dont mix? Since when? :lol: I never even gave the safety aspect a thought. Very unlike me. I will install the plexi.

There will only be 96watts at any one time running. You think it will get that hot? Hot enough for a fan or two? I see no problem installing them if they are necessary. I've got a couple old PCs I can scavenge them from easy enough. And I am sure I have 1 or 2 power chords lying around somewhere too.

I think one computer fan would take care of it if you had an opening on the far end for the air to leave. It's really not that hot, relative to a computer case.

I've always wanted to make a computer cooling system that heated my fish tank. I'm sure I'd end up with a fried, wet motherboard or a tank full of cooked fish.

Nice job!!!

I agree with the plexi and the fan...not only will it protect, but will also help prevent condensation...I recomend you seal your wire nuts with silicone to make the connection water tight

Ahhh!!! More of the unthought of! Condensation. :lol:

Good idea on the wire nuts redswi.

I have a partial sheet of plexi. It's only 1/8" though. I thought about using 2 layers but it's not quite large enough for that. So, just gonna use one layer. I will look for thicker on the next unit I build though.

This is my first aquarium top. So, keep the suggestions coming if you got em. Hopefully, in 6 or 8 months I will be in a position where I can use my shop to build a better one. All the suggestions here will definately play into that one.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

You could probably get away without any active cooling, but you'd want passive, at the very least. A vent grill in the top centre of the lid, and an inlet hole on either end near the bottom. That would make the hot air exiting the top pull cool air in the bottom as it exited.

And if you do go with a 12v fan for airflow, keep in mind that they're much more efficient at pulling air OUT of an enclosure than pushing it in. Use them as exhaust fans (possible at the rear, centre), and cut inlets on either end, as described. This will, again, create a convection/forced air setup that will push hot out the back and pull cool in the sides as it creates low pressure inside.

Thanks for all the help folks. Today, I added plexi and a PC fan to the unit.

I'm not real happy with the results. It's not anything wrong with the setup and additions. Just my workmanship and the placement of my intake holes. I think I might have rushed it a bit and without thinking about the end results.

Oh well, not much I can do about it now. I guess the more I think about it, the more I just have a problem with the intake hole locations. As for workmanship, one cant really expect good results when working with crappy pine lumber.

The seam in the picture is due to using 2 scraps of plexi rather than purchasing a new one large enough. I pointed out the intake holes as well (for the blind). When the lights are on they look like a couple of eyes staring at you. I have a few ideas how to remedy the problem though. I should have put them in the rear of the unit. I wired an outlet inside the unit to plug in the fan adapter. That way, when the timer turns on the lights, the fan will come on with them (and off).

I think, other than paint and some waterproofing of the connections as per redswi's suggestion, it's pretty much as finished as I am going to get this one. I learned a great deal about this type of an enclosure doing this project. I will definately be able to build a much nicer one later this year. This one will suffice until then. Thanks again folks!

new1nh6.jpg

newej2.jpg

When the lights are on they look like a couple of eyes staring at you.

If you place a block inside the lid about 1" away from the holes it will cut the light escaping without blocking the air...(a baffle of sorts)

I'm not real happy with the results. It's not anything wrong with the setup and additions. Just my workmanship and the placement of my intake holes. I think I might have rushed it a bit and without thinking about the end results.

It looks good...now quit beating yourself up...I have guys at the shop that don't do this good.

I think it looks great

you could even get some black colored screen material and staple to the inside of the intake holes... that would diffuse the light and still allow for air flow.

Good Job!

leoslizards said:
Nice job. :)

How did you power up the 12v PC fan?

That is really easy, actually. I had done one of these at work a few years ago when the AC went out for a few days. I set it on my monitor for a decent little breeze.

There is a tutorial on this page that explains it just as well as I could. (Thank tecwzrd for the link)

My fan cost $5 new. The 12v adapter is around $15 - $20 new. I found one looking through my various junk drawers and boxes. So, FREEBIE!

Good luck with yours.

EDIT: And I wired an outlet inside the light box to plug the fan into. Now I only have one power chord coming from the light unit.

On a side note, as soon as the snow melts. I am building a new better version of this project out of cedar. I am not happy with the results of this one at all. The paint job made up my mind on it. I used black Rustoleum latex paint after primer. It took several coats to get decent coverage and the stuff runs like it stole something. With that in mind, one would think that it would flow out and hide brush marks. Nope, doesn't do that either.

Live and learn.

Very nice work Ketso, but I suggest you make some type of reflector for that hood. You are lossing a lot of light without one.

rkilling1 said:
Very nice work Ketso, but I suggest you make some type of reflector for that hood. You are lossing a lot of light without one.
On this one, I just painted the inside white. It's by no means whatsoever the best "reflector", but it does seem to put more of the light into the tank.

Like I said, just above in my last reply, the black paint ruined this one for me. I am not happy with it at all and have already began plans for a new and improved version made out of cedar. I have already purchased a mirror to place above the lights in the new one ($5 48" x 12" door mirror from Home Depot). The new version will be much more user friendly as well. :D I should also be able to use nearly all the hardware from the one above.

Couple of notes to consider when designing your new one.

Your installed plexi looks to be good, but I would watch for warpage over time. I think you use the attachment hardware close enough that you won't have a problem though. I personally opted for a glass, sliding top.

On my 75 gal, I have 6 T8 bulbs in my similar DIY canopy. All are ran ODNO 2X (which means the normal 32W bulb is running at about 48W). I opted for high gloss white paint for reflection (I actually WANTED to lose some light, to keep me closer to 3 or 3.5 WPG). I have no fans installed, but I did only enclose about 1/2 of the back (only enclosed 15" on each side). I installed a black mesh type material to diffuse some light (works good too!). Anyway, before lighting, my tank temp is about 77F. After 10 hrs of light a day, tank temp rises to 79F. So, at least in my setup, the fans aren't as critical. I will probably be installed one or two on a 9V adapter in the near future, just for a little bit of help.

Why is it that I can't see any pictures? All I see are either a square with a red dot or the word Image. I was able to see them a week ago or so.

leoslizards said:
Why is it that I can't see any pictures? All I see are either a square with a red dot or the word Image. I was able to see them a week ago or so.
Not sure. All showing here.

I got them working now.

Anyways, this has inspired me to build my own canopy. I started on it yesterday, I took advantage that we had a guest stay over and he had all the tools I need. He had a miter saw, a circular saw, and a saw table. Those saw benches are awesome, I have to get me one. Unfortunately he left and I don't have the tools anymore so I'm stuck at half way done. :| The frame is completely done and I still have to cut the wood panels for the outside. For some reason I think it is too heavy for my tank so I will have to make some sort of support beams. I'll post a new thread with pics once I get some tools and get it done.

Btw Ketso, What kind of ram is that in your avatar? Golden ram? I will probably get a couple rams next.

leoslizards said:
Btw Ketso, What kind of ram is that in your avatar? Golden ram? I will probably get a couple rams next.
It's a German Blue Ram.

I doubt your setup will be too heavy for your tank. Look around at other DIY tank hoods. Some are made of MDF. That stuff is heavy! The light box portion of mine probably weighs less than 10lbs. Not much weight when you think about it being distributed all over the tank.

Good luck with it. And, by all means, take some photos. Always like seeing what others do. Just remember, it doesn't matter what others think about it. As long as you do your best and are happy with it. That's all that matters.

Nice job on the lights, but the fans will be included in my next project.

Back
Top Bottom