My DIY Reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishGeek97

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, i'm a newbie to the sw hobby and am on the journey of building my own tank. i'm trying to recreate this tank i found on the internet, with a few tweaks of my own. I hope you'll help me, as i have or will have tons of questions. but for starters, here's the pic of the tank i want to recreate:
IMG_8217.JPG

Volcano10.jpg

Wow - that is an interesting setup. Best of luck on your journey. Welcome to AA.

It is, i just don't know how to mak it wher you won't be able to see the pipe stcking up from it.

wow, thats insane, probably one of the coolest tank setups Ive seen. That will be one heck of a build. Good luck and keep up *** posted!! take lots of pics :)

if you build your own pvc pipes, and use a heat gun, you can run pipes anyway you want to. Which would actually be an easy way to do it, as long as youve played with pvc before. Now getting a hole in that big rock, thats another story

lol The volcano is peices of dry rock glued together to make the volcano shape. i guess you glue it around the pvc return, to make the waterfall effect.

ahh. well that makes it simpler. looks like a fun build, but im sure its like working on a car, what seems simple and quick, will turn into a b*^%& and take forever to do. but hey, you be the only person you know to have a cool tank like that. :)

Haha, yeah, i'm still looking for a glass dealer, but i'm pretty sure i found one. You can use plexiglass right?

Im not sure, I would think you can, probably be better off using glass though. Maybe someone else on here can fill us in on the use of plexi. I was just wondering how to fix a leaky tank...do you use clear calk? Im about to buy another 29g for someone off craigslist...and Im not sure if it leaks, and if it does, I want to know how to fix it.

I also want a tank like this.. The creator removed the volcano and made a shallow lagoon i liked it better... And if the volcano is the return most of the water must be diverted elsewhere bc its trickling town the volcano

builtf0rdtough said:
Im not sure, I would think you can, probably be better off using glass though. Maybe someone else on here can fill us in on the use of plexi. I was just wondering how to fix a leaky tank...do you use clear calk? Im about to buy another 29g for someone off craigslist...and Im not sure if it leaks, and if it does, I want to know how to fix it.

You can use any silicone that is aquarium safe (no chemicals added to stop mold) scrape out the seam in question and reapply new silicone...and yes you can use "pleco glass" that is just a brand of acylic but aqrylic scratches easier although it is lighter and clearer then glass but it will yellow a bit over time and bow if not the proper thickness

After looking closer at the pictures.. that is an acrylic tank

Marquis said:
Y would he do a nice tank like that with acrylic :(

Imo if done right acrylic looks much nicer..have you ever looked at an acrylic tank..almost 100% clear, if you haven't you'd be shocked how much light loss there is thru your standard glass tank

Mrc8858 said:
Imo if done right acrylic looks much nicer..have you ever looked at an acrylic tank..almost 100% clear, if you haven't you'd be shocked how much light loss there is thru your standard glass tank

I used to clean a 2400 gallon reef for a Toyota dealership acrylic scratches easy glass is just easier to clean imo

It definately is easier to clean but were talking about a small tank at home not a whopping 2400 gallons lol plus with that setup all your rock is in the middle so less risk of scratching..you can go either way though, all just a personal choice

Back
Top Bottom