My DIY Sump Design & Cut-sheet.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been planning my new sump for some time (to handle my new tank im building).

Here is what I have drawn, any comments or suggestions welcome!

It will be sitting alongside my AquaC 240 Protein skimmer and the two holes are to accomodate two 4" x 14" 200 micron socks.

Both the skimmer and return pump will be plumbed inline so there will just be strainers inside the tank.

The fuge section will have a 6" DSB with Chaeto and LR.

I will also add the cut-sheets that I have drawn should anyone want to use my design.

-Tom

Attachments

• sump_1.jpg
    sump_1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 237
  • sump_2.jpg
    sump_2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 234
  • sump_3.jpg
    sump_3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 226
  • sump_4.jpg
    sump_4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
Cut-sheet

THE SIDE PANELS HAVE HAD AN EXTRA 1/8" ON THE SIDES TO ALLOW FOR THE ROUTER.

THE SIDE PANELS HAVE HAD AN EXTRA 1/16" ON THE BOTTOM TO ALLOW FOR THE ROUTER.

THE FRONT AND BACK PANELS HAVE HAD AN EXTRA 1/16" ON THE BOTTOM TO ALLOW FOR THE ROUTER.

Below are the cut-sheets I have made for my design should you need them, any questions, just ask.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 3.png
    3.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 212
Design overview

__

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 9.10.34 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 9.10.34 PM.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 206
  • Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 9.10.43 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 9.10.43 PM.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 282
I like the design as it is very close to my own. How is the water getting to the refugium section?

Smitty said:
I like the design as it is very close to my own. How is the water getting to the refugium section?

Thanks, the return pump is going to split and just put a low GPH through the refugium where it will just overflow through the teeth back into the return pump section.

That is exactly what I'm doing. Shooting for around 150-200 gph going into the fuge then I'm having an inline UV filter taking the water from the fuge back into the return (but will have an option for overflow as well).

Smitty said:
That is exactly what I'm doing. Shooting for around 150-200 gph going into the fuge then I'm having an inline UV filter taking the water from the fuge back into the return (but will have an option for overflow as well).

I'm planning on a 25 watt aqua classic UV from the return to the DT.

why have you not got the socks in the inlet section? why next to it.Is the the flow supposed to go over the seperator and then through the socks?It seems that the socks should be moved to the left to the inlet section which will then give you more return pump capacity.

David S said:
why have you not got the socks in the inlet section? why next to it.Is the the flow supposed to go over the seperator and then through the socks?It seems that the socks should be moved to the left to the inlet section which will then give you more return pump capacity.

My reason for this is that I want the skimmer to filter the water before it runs through the socks, I have an external AquaC EV-240 skimmer that's going to sit next to the first section. And yes the water is going to just flow over the baffle into the socks, I saw it on a sump on YouTube and just thought it was more practical (easier to change the socks) plus if the socks clog up it will just flow over them into the next section.

Tom,

I don't know if you have ace hardwares out there but that's where I got my acrylic for my sump (very alike design). I needed about 4 sq ft. And I got it for 14 bucks (a very reasonable deal)

They didn't cut it I did that at home with a table saw with a finishing blade

SteveFishman said:
Tom,

I don't know if you have ace hardwares out there but that's where I got my acrylic for my sump (very alike design). I needed about 4 sq ft. And I got it for 14 bucks (a very reasonable deal)

They didn't cut it I did that at home with a table saw with a finishing blade

That's a really good price, how thick was it? I think there is an Ace hardware store near by in CT. Thanks for the tip.

Just an update, I have finally got my dream sump built (not yet delivered). Although I did decide to extend it to 48" wide.

Attachments

• image-474091718.jpg
    image-474091718.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 152
looks good but the only problem I see is the where the water flows over the acrylic from both sides into the return pump section,with evaporation the water flow will cause a cascade and cause bubbles in this section which will be pumped into the dt in micro bubbles,

David S said:
looks good but the only problem I see is the where the water flows over the acrylic from both sides into the return pump section,with evaporation the water flow will cause a cascade and cause bubbles in this section which will be pumped into the dt in micro bubbles,

I plan on having the water level just above the two baffles (either side of the return pump section) with a float switch ATO making sure its always level.

If you don't mind what program did you use for your 3D modeling?

really like this design
can u email me ur cut sheets please. was pretty hard to read on here.
thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom