My First DIY Cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serial

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started this cave tonight for my crayfish/lobster. I used 2inch PVC and 100% Silicon. I just gotta find some more flat rocks around my property. I was also wondering if anyone had any ideas to hide the white on the inside or if i just silicon smaller rocks in there.

Attachments

• cave_fishtank_405.jpg
    cave_fishtank_405.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 221
I'd try to silicon bigger slabs of rock like the ones you have in front of the cave. I think it'd look better. Looks good so far.

Keep up the good work. Don't forget to post more pics when your done. :)

Looks great! As for finishing the interior, a friend of mine has made a habit of using epoxy-bound materials on ceramic, pvc, clay, etc to make some interesting tubes, caves, and other decor. He coats the areas he wants to treat with an epoxy and then uses anything from sand to small crushed stone or small gravel and applies it to the epoxy coated areas. All of the pieces he's made are really quite impressive. I know for sand or similarly fine mediums he puts on two or more layers just to cover them thoroughly. He's made me some stuff, I'll see if I can dig up some pics and post them here.

Im just about finished with it. Ill post another picture when I get home tomorrow. I realize that I shouldve coated the inside first before I did everything on the outside but its too late now. I just need to get some more silicon and then Im probably gonna use sand or a little heavier medium for the inside to hide the white. I was gonna get black pvc pipe but the place that I went to the black pvc was like twice as much money as the white. It's a fun project when you have some herb :D

you could smear clear silicon inside the openings of the tube and pour some black sand into the tube and shake. now the insides will be coated in black and it will look natural and rocky.

Herb o_O!

I wish I could get black pvc around here. Where did you get it at?

i didnt buy the black because it was more expensive. but i just went to my local hardware store. im sure they sell it at lowes or home depot though if you live in the u.s.

Hi everyone sorry I haven't posted any more pics of it. Im in the process of moving so I haven't really had a lot of time to finish it. It's almost done I just have to silicon some smaller rock towards the inside to hide the white pvc.

Back
Top Bottom