My son and i built an aquarium stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkins409

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's not a planted aquarium, but I wanted to share it with my many planted friends :)

He has a tire-track eel in there.

The stand took us months to build.

Attachments

• image-649297062.jpg
    image-649297062.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 317
  • image-3461348421.jpg
    image-3461348421.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 305
Here are a few of the photos we took along the way

Attachments

• image-3710051566.jpg
    image-3710051566.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 268
  • image-33624885.jpg
    image-33624885.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 261
  • image-2174882888.jpg
    image-2174882888.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 256
  • image-3971790508.jpg
    image-3971790508.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 254
  • image-3565724578.jpg
    image-3565724578.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 259
Hawkins,
Your son will remember that special time for the rest of his life. And, he's learned a very valuable skill. I salute you sir. The workmanship is beautiful. Congrats. OS.

That's awesome! Great work and I am sure your son loved it. Better than anything you could buy in the store.

Looks great. Someone must be a wood worker or it's a hobby. I'm seeing rabbits, miter cuts, using glue, matching corners with 45s instead of butting them together. The stand definitely looks like time was taken to do it right. Good job.

That's awesome! Great work and I am sure your son loved it. Better than anything you could buy in the store.

Before we started the project, we went shopping for a tank stand to make sure there wasn't something out there that was what we wanted. He really wanted to build his own sump for his 55 gallon using a 10 gallon tank. To do that, you have to have a place to fit it. So many tank stands are made from pressed board and, probably because of that, don't ever feature an opening big enough to put a 10 gallon tank. Anyway, we're super excited about it. It was fun to work on together, and we both learned a lot about cabinet building in the process.

Looks great. Someone must be a wood worker or it's a hobby. I'm seeing rabbits, miter cuts, using glue, matching corners with 45s instead of butting them together. The stand definitely looks like time was taken to do it right. Good job.

Thank you! That's quite a compliment. This is the first cabinet of any kind that we've built. I have a mitre saw of my own. But we borrowed a router and table. We also went to the neighbor's house to use his table saw. For the recessed cabinet hinges, we went to my dad's house to use his drill press. Haha! I guess I'm a bit of a tool mooch! Anyway, if I keep this up I'm going to need to add a few tools to the garage.

With this experience, I'd like to build the garage cabinets I've always dreamed of.

The unique thing about the design is that the two center doors are not really cabinet doors - they just secretly look like cabinet doors. Instead, they are joined together as one panel which is held in place with cabinet magnets. Here is a picture with that panel removed.

Attachments

• image-1464765622.jpg
    image-1464765622.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 224
Wow, that stand really looks great! I love it and I wish that I had the kind of skills to build stands for myself.

I don't at all want to be negative, but the water level in the sump looks awfully high.... have you tested what will happen in the event of a power outage? I've flooded sumps MANY times so that's the only reason I ask. :p

Wow, that stand really looks great! I love it and I wish that I had the kind of skills to build stands for myself. I don't at all want to be negative, but the water level in the sump looks awfully high.... have you tested what will happen in the event of a power outage? I've flooded sumps MANY times so that's the only reason I ask. :p

Haha. Awesome! I just told him the same thing. He never keeps it that high, he knows that. He just did a water change yesterday and overfilled :)

Stand looks absolutely awesome. Good work there and I love to front pull off panel! !!

Back
Top Bottom