Natural (litter) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. Nature has been trashed, Boone can deny litter is everywhere. I want to capture that in my new 20 long. How would I go about sterilizing something like a beer bottle. What's the risk here. every water change pour it out to kill deadspots... .. Dark or clear bottles.

Thanks guys

10gal hitech/5gal lowtech

I think a dark bottle would "look" better IMO. I know when brewing that clear bottles were preferred so you could see anything wrong / growth on the glass.

Should I be worried about a pleco going in, and getting hurt because the water doesn't exchange In the bottle...

Should I be worried about a pleco going in, and getting hurt because the water doesn't exchange In the bottle...

IMO I'd rinse it out each water change to get rid of any poop. I suspect if he doesn't like conditions, he won't go in there but can't say for sure. Could be a risk, what about a jam bottle or an old bottle with wider mouth perhaps?

IMO I'd rinse it out each water change to get rid of any poop. I suspect if he doesn't like conditions, he won't go in there but can't say for sure. Could be a risk, what about a jam bottle or an old bottle with wider mouth perhaps?

I like the jam bottle. Is there anyway I could coat the label to waterproof it?

I'm honestly not sure if anyone else may know? I have used clear silicon glue on bricks ages ago but could well have been just lucky.

I'm thinking some type of clear epoxy might be the go. You would need to check the product to make sure it's safe for aquarium use

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know i don't wana use aquarium silicone. Seen some threads here and there on krylon brand spray paint being ok underwater. The only part that really needs the coat is the label area really. Don't wana out something bad in the tank though, I like my ecosystem haha

Why not find an old coke bottle that has the coke logo designed into the glass. I have seen several of these types.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you thought about somehow "capping" the bottle so nothing could get in? And the make it sink fill it with sand or something? Other than that sounds awesome!

You fill the bottle with sand or gravel so no fish go in there, if you don't card about the label being on there you could scrap it off with a razor blade.

Or just a thought, if you wanted to make it a functional decoration use a drill but made for glass and drill some holes large enough for the fish to fit in and make it a tunnel/cave

Could I smash them in halfish and sand them flat with a dremmel sander or something? That would be a more permanent ornament, as long as I can not slice my fish...

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Yesssss. I'm going to round up various bottles, and will see what I can come up with. I'll keep you guys posted

I don't know how you feel about bubblers or if that would be against the style you are going for but it would be cool if you but a bubble stone under the top half of the bottle the bubbles would come out of the top and would look cool.

There are beer bottles with labels that are glazed onto the glass. I cut these to make drinking cups out of. You could easily use those and like was said just fill them with sand or gravel to keep the fish out.

Other stuff to use:
Plastic rings from a 6 pack - Iconic picture of littering
Broken and sanded down plate
Water bottle
Rubber duck - What can 28,000 rubber duckies lost at sea teach us about our oceans? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

There's tons of things you can use, you just have to get creative with the clear coating.

I don't know how you feel about bubblers or if that would be against the style you are going for but it would be cool if you but a bubble stone under the top half of the bottle the bubbles would come out of the top and would look cool.

I don't want offset my co2, but that's a really cool idea

Back
Top Bottom