Need help removing glass siliconed to glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
i wasn't sure what forum to post this in so I just chose this one sorry if it's in the wrong place, I bought a used tank very large foot print it's a custom 75g rimless 15 inches high 4 feet long and 2 feet wide it was originally a salt water tank so it had been drilled but the previous owner covered the holes with glass and siliconed it all in place, I'm going to be turning it into a freshwater planted tank but I want to run a sump so it's always topped off and I don't have the ugly water mark line since its rimless.
I'm trying to figure out the best and easiest way to remove the two pieces without having to re drill the hole through the piece of glass covering the existing hole, I cut off all the silicone around the edge but there is silicone pressed between the two pieces of glass still holding it in place I was thinking a wire and trying to run it between the two pieces but I dunno if I'd beable to find a thin enough wire or if it would be sharp enough to do the job, has anyone had experience with this and know what to do or what method has worked for you? thanks in advance

piano wire. very high tensile strength. wrap the ends around some wooden rod or similar.

use a hair dryer heat up the piece your trying to remove, it will help soften the silicon so you can cut it out easier , be sure to use gloves and glasses remember you working with glass, Safety First

And glasses. :)

But isn't piano wire very large? I would go guitar wire or some braided fish lines.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

sure like a high E or B string, G MIGHT work but depending how close the glass is, G might be too fat (depends on the overall gauge too).

I ended up using a .001 and .002 feeler gauge to cut thru the glass seam. It was VERY tight in some areas, went through maybe 6 of these gauges. In the areas where the glass wasnt so tight togethe rit cut through no problem.

Preheating with hair dryer very good idea. Maybe even use a heat gun.

GTHMjDD.jpg

tried the wire it snapped wouldn't cut through at all so I took an exacto knife tried to cut under it and the glass started to crack so k just chipped away at it piece by piece definitely not the safest and smartest way but I got frustrated :banghead: and wanted it done I made sure to take my time so pieces wouldn't fly everywhere and wore safety glasses and gloves
can't wait to set this bad boy up the piping is huge lol
I couldn't get to the back hole cause the space between the two pieces of glass was two thin so I had to settle with the front hole using some elbows hopefully some substrate and rocks/driftwood/plants will hide that good enough

thanks everyone for the ideas

Back
Top Bottom