Need help with 150g tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obmanta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was able to buy a 150g tank for $50. Nope it wasn't cracked. No it wasn't stolen. :)

I got it home and filled it up. No leaks, let it set for about 48hours, totally full. Empied the water out al except bottom 3 inches.

IT started getting colder around her and one day i noticed that I had what looked like drops sticking to the bottom of the tank at the end closest to the garage door. Now that end is only 6 inches from the garage door, and door isnt insulated. This seemed to look like condensation.

Last week, I noticed that the tanks silicone was turning an nasty brown and that it was pulling away from the edging of the tank. I have since taken the old surface silicone cauling out (didnt seperate the panes or anything like that). and I recaulked it. I have waited the manufacturers 48hrs rule and have filled it up again. The drops have reappeared and I now have them in a different area of the tank.

I used the water comming out of my water hose, yup its pretty cold. Is it possible that it is truely condensation? and not a leak?

Ever look behind your toilet and wonder why there are two input lines? One is hot and one is cold. Why on earth would you need hot water in your toilet? Well, it keeps your resevior tank fron sweating and dripping all over the floor. It is getting cooler here and I would vote for condensation.

What are your plans for the tank?

R-

You got a hot water toilet!? I always suspected we were lagging a bit behind here in GA :mrgreen: . Seriously, I would also vote for condensation. Usually, when you have a leaky tank, you'll be able to trace it to where it's seeping through the silicone. You would also most likely have a small puddle in the floor. I would move the tank inside and fill it up...say on a weekend when you can keep a close eye on it...and see what happens.

Ob, I am PMing you with a little local info.

Logan, are you as curious as I am about how many people who read this actually look behind thier toilets? tee hee I love it. Haven't talked to you in a while PM sent as well.

R-

Thanks Guys, feel a little better. I have not noticed any leakage at all. The tank is sitting on a peice of cardboard box the length of the tank. No discoleration of the cardboard. Checked around the lower trim of the tank, nothing there.

Playing around with a 150g tank makes me very nervous. next move is to leave water in the tank for the week and them move that tank to its new stand I am almost finished with. Fill the water into the tank again on the stand, make sure the stand will hold the tank and then move both the tank and stand into our family room.

Then comes the hard part. putting money into the tank. Need lights, sand, LR.

Found a website, tells ya how to make live sand, gonna do that. Gonna buy live rock.

Let the tank cycle.

Planning on DSB and life rock. Overflow with 30-50 gal W/D sump system(DIY) and the a counter cycle skimmer (DIY). Possibly VHO lighting system.

Will start with FO and move slowly to a reek system.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for advice all

Hey Scott,

My site is still being built as we speak. It should be up in short order so check back soon. Be sure to do some shopping before decising on the items above Counter current skimmers are effective but a large beckett injector is more suited for a larger tank. Also on the sump and lighting think over the future uses. If you go FO now and want to move into a reef later consider the costs of buying ceaper item only to have to upgrade a few months later. Sometimes, depending on the plan it is better to "over do it" a little and/or buy appropriate items for the future use.

If you plan to DIY these things PM me or post them here. There is a lot of help to be had and I like many other here will be glad to help any we can.

R-

Back
Top Bottom