need input on lighting DIY project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

33w_fish_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, let me begin by asking what is the recommended lenght of time for light to be on? I am working on a DIY light fixture, unfortunatly I do not had the funding to either go MH or PC. It contains 3 24" fourecent bulbsm 20w a piece (1x50/50, 1x03, 1x10000k), plus 2 pr. of blue LEDs for moonlight. Should I purchase HO/VHO bulbs or would the equipment I have work? Also for I'm looking for some DIY to help me with some information regarding the use of standards ballast from home depot ot lowes for HO/VHO? My intentions for this light fixture is to completely automate it. I have found a timer circuits that will turn on/off the daylight, antic, and LEDs.

My other question is about oxygen transfer. I have a sheet if 1/4 plexi a lid with cutouts for equipment that is in the tanks, my intention was to minimize evaporation, should I make additional holes or what?

Well, you can't just pop VHO bulbs in a NO fixture...they won't fire up. Also, VHO is about the same price as PC...

You want lights to be on about 12 hours a day. Since LED's last forever you can technically run them 24/7...their power consumption is so minimal, and they give off no heat.
For the DIY info, you might post down in the DIY/Hardware section...might get a few more hits there since both salt and freshwater people read those posts.

Additional holes may help, especially since using a cover will create a greenhouse effect, heating hte water up more than going open top. Also, even 1/4 inch plexiglass will quickly warp when spanning a tank, under the heat of the bulbs.

I deleted your new thread in the diy section since it was a duplicate of this one, and I changed the thread title to the new one you posted. Hopefully you'll get more info this way. :wink:

A while back, we had a big discussion on overdriving a normal output flourescent ... If you search this forum with "overdrive" you should be able to find the threads. Here's one example:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=9129

The concept is to use a 4 tube ballest & wire it to 2 flourescent tubes, thus increasing the light output (without the $$ of HO/VHO lights).

I personally did not went that route (after all the talk). With the T8 fixture prices falling, that is the best bang for the buck for me. <A T8 will put out 30% more light than NO T12, and the price had dropped to the point that it is cheaper to do that than to buy the T12 ballast & overdriving it .... plus I am still a bit uncomfortable with non-standard wiring...>

Back
Top Bottom