New ATS...Feedback pls!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SAAVE853

Aquarium Advice Freak
Specs for system:
Screen is 6.5" x 15"
300 gph
2- 42 watt = 84 watts
Bulbs sit about 5" from the screens on either side.

Would love any feedback or suggestions. If any one wants to see some pics of the build I have some just ask!!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 92
I'm no expert on ATS but i would guess your going to want some kind of shield between your screen and the lights. The way it is now you will probably get a lot of salt creep build up on your lights. You can buy thin small sheets of acrylic at the hardware store that would serve the purpose quite well i think.

I'm no expert on ATS but i would guess your going to want some kind of shield between your screen and the lights. The way it is now you will probably get a lot of salt creep build up on your lights. You can buy thin small sheets of acrylic at the hardware store that would serve the purpose quite well i think.

i would suggest a bulb that has its own reflector built in to it. kinda like those floodlights that are outside your house on motion sensors. they are thicker glass and are easier to wipe off than a curly bulb. just get the right wattage and k. ive read that around 4000k ws the best (someone did a side by side vs a 6000k and the growth was doubled in the 4000). this is all off recollection. i believe the thread is the big fat one about a DIYATS that someone on her built.cant miss it

I've read bulbs have to be changed about every 2-3 months...I don't think that the salt creep in that time will get too bad. I like the idea for the outside lights but my stand is a bit cheap so I don't really wanna drill into it!

I don't think you have to replace the bulbs that often? Especially the CF bulbs. I belive they last for quite some time. I could be missing something though

"These CFL lights have also shown to only last about three months before their power drops off, even though they "look" fine."

From Algae Scrubbers • Index page - This is a working experiment so lets see...i'll prob switch one out at 3 months and then see how the other side does with the older one just to compare.

Wow i didn't realize they had such a short life. I suppose it is about the same with T-5 bulbs. They will last forever but the spectrum really starts to shift a lot sooner and they lose a lot of their power.

Wow i didn't realize they had such a short life. I suppose it is about the same with T-5 bulbs. They will last forever but the spectrum really starts to shift a lot sooner and they lose a lot of their power.

For the price I rather replace these CFL's every 3 months......

Back
Top Bottom