new diy filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the canister for my filter. Im goin to do some testing on the box before i do the inside. I will update you as i go. Hopefully be doin final test by the end of the week.

ForumRunner_20120311_223446.jpg

Test #1 got an air leak gonna let it dry out and seal it and test again tomorrow

If all goes wrong some large diameter pvc should do the job, its also able to hold up to a lot of pressure from the restriction of flow from the media and having 1 side a screw on cap and the other a glued on cap it will last really long. Plastic tends to crack, so for the first month keep the filter in a 5 gal bucket even if the container passes the leak test.

I wanted to di pvc but wanted it clear. And clear pvc is $55 a foot so to much i might do pvc later this is mainly a test to see how it works and to see if ican do it lol

Well my box wont hold the pressure so pvc it is. If i make it with pvc can i lay it down or does it have to be vertical

I wanted clear cause i wanted to be able to see it but im goin with white cause i can get it cheap

I dont think flex tubing comes in 6in and of it does its probably way to much $

Home depot and lowes sell it by the foot for a couple bucks. I just picked up 12' of 1" and 3/4". Make sure if you do that to check for INNER and OUTER diameters. Plumbing is always listed by inner diameters.

Hey jbird, are you planning on making baskets to hold the media? If so...they are convenient but totally unnecessary. You will save yourself a lot of time and energy cutting them out and just stacking your media.

I was goi to buy the baskets they sell for the pvc pipe but i like ur idea better lol

jbird79 said:
I was goi to buy the baskets they sell for the pvc pipe but i like ur idea better lol

Well, I made a small filter and cutting the media to fit, and filling the bio media to fit, keeps it perfectly in place. The convenience of cleaning my Eheim compared to my DIY is barely noticeable.

Ok an update. Ive decided to make the filter with a 5 gal bucket. I found a screw on lid with oring so i should be tight enough to not leak. My only problem now is im using a bigger pump then i originally planned. Pump is much heavier then the first. I need to find a way to mount it to the lid. Any ideas? As soon as i figure that out i can do initial testin

jbird79 said:
Ok an update. Ive decided to make the filter with a 5 gal bucket. I found a screw on lid with oring so i should be tight enough to not leak. My only problem now is im using a bigger pump then i originally planned. Pump is much heavier then the first. I need to find a way to mount it to the lid. Any ideas? As soon as i figure that out i can do initial testin

Maybe you can bond a plank of rigid material to the lid of the bucket, even wood. That would give you a strong enough surface to mount the pump....as long as it spans to each edge of the bucket.

I was thinking of super gluing a piece plastic to the lid and then zip tying the pump to the plastic. Let rummage around the house to see if i can find something strong enough

Yes i think i found something that will work ( the first pic). And here r some pics of the lid and bucket i meant to put on the update
Well it wont let me upload pics ill put them up when they fix it

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120328_103543.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120328_103543.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20120328_103658.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120328_103658.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20120328_103744.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120328_103744.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 45
  • ForumRunner_20120328_103837.jpg