New guy with Stand questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnheather

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this hobby and have purchased a 125 tank. I decided to make my own stand and purchsed some 2"x2" 3/16" tubular steel for the legs and some 2"x2" 3/16" angle iron for the top. I welded the top all together and welded in 6 legs and all the lower bracing for the legs. This thing is strong. My question is when I put the store bought tank on the stand there are spots that will span a foot or two where the tank is about 1/32" from touching the top. It appears to be in the tank itself because if I turn the tank the gap follows the tank and seems to be just on the front of the tank. My question is that amount of gap acceptable? I called the place where the tank came from and they said it was fine, but since they are just store employees I thought I would ask the experts. Is it ok for the tank to flex that much or will it cause it to crack?

I dont concider myself an expert by any means so I cant say if that is acceptable but it sure would make me nervous. Someone here will have the answer though.

i would but a rubber type of mat to take up the gap it is safer that way. a 32nd is very small amount are you sure it is not more. a some type of mat will take care of your problem

Once you fill it with water the tank will settle into the stand. Additionally I use this backer board type material from craft shops (shiny cardboard type paper with a spongy material in between). Crude description but you'll find it in the artist/painting section; might also be used for picture framing..any-hoo.. Makes a nice cushion and helps level out any irregularities in the stand (or tank as is your case).

I use window/door trim weather seal (foam insulation strips). It's not very thick but it helps take up the imperfections and cusions the tank slightly.

Thank you, that helps. Now the second question. I was thinking about powdercoating the stand with a hammered powder coating. It will give the surface a very textured finish. Does anyone see any problems with that?

I'm just jealous that you have access to welding and powder coating equipment! The only concern I have is that most people use the stand as a place to hide the cannister filter. Did you enclose the stand at all, or just make legs and bracing under the tank? If you didn't enclose it, the filter will be out in the open, and won't have the benefit of the visual and sound-deadening qualities of an enclosed stand.

I have a storage closet on the other side of the wall that the stand will be on. I am just going to run the plumbing through the wall and set up the filtration system in the closet. I want a nice clean open look...

Nice! I did a similar thing with my air pump. It sits in my basement closet/data room, and the air line runs up through a tiny hole in the baseboard where the previous owners had run phone wires. Be sure to post some pics of this stand when you can!

Once you fill it with water the tank will settle into the stand. Additionally I use this backer board type material from craft shops (shiny cardboard type paper with a spongy material in between). Crude description but you'll find it in the artist/painting section; might also be used for picture framing..any-hoo.. Makes a nice cushion and helps level out any irregularities in the stand (or tank as is your case).

I think they call it mat board?

Back
Top Bottom